1753261 Members
5058 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

UPS "no device"

CypherMike
Advisor

UPS "no device"

I have a problem on my DL380G4 using a R3000XR. The UPS used to be connected to three of our servers, I recently shut down two of them and now I get no device in HP Power Manager (an update to 4.1 didn't help) and also in Device Manager, which worries me more. The machine that is still up is where the configuration took place the other two only had the agent.

Any suggestions, links, as to how to get the UPS to show up in Device Manager and then in HP Power Manager? Should I go into Power Options and mess with it there (the UPS service is set on manual and I get an 2481 error when trying to start it up, meaning it's not set up right)?

It's attached via serial. I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but was able to set it up before and don't know what I'm doing wrong this time around.
9 REPLIES 9
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Re: UPS "no device"

To add the UPS device back in Device Manger:
-Make sure the file batt.dll in C:\windows\system32
-When prompted for PnP device, point to the file "hpups.inf" under "Driver" subdirectory on your Power Management Pack 2.4 CD

Brian
CypherMike
Advisor

Thank you for replying.

The problem is I don't get prompted when scanning for new hardware, it's like it's not even present. A reboot of the server didn't help finding any "new" hardware and it's not listed in Device Manager.
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Open Device Manager, hightlight the root (username) it will give you a icon to rescan the new PnP HW.
Or check also under "inf" subdirectory there is file oem?.inf (? is replaced by a number that Window created). Open one by one and compare with the file "hpups.inf" if there is one matched, delete it (also the file oem?.pnf). Reboot hope it will give you a prompt.
CypherMike
Advisor

Brian,

I managed to get it to show up in Device Manager\Batteries; making progress.
Now Power Manager Status is giving me a Critical warning. I checked the services and Uninterruptible Power Supply is set to manual, starting it doesn't work. I get an error it's not properly configured. Checking Power Options\UPS reveals it's stopped and not configured. When trying to select one I only see APC and Generic. How do I go about setting it up now? Thank you in advance.
CypherMike
Advisor

Just letting you know I resolved all the issues. Thank you yet again for your assistance.
CypherMike
Advisor

This has come up yet again. With some differences.

I don't see the UPS in Device Manager any longer.

batt.dll is in %systemroot%\system32
I've checked all oem*.inf files under %systemroot%\inf and none match the hpups.inf file.

If I scan for new hardware, reboot the server the situation remains the same. No UPS present.

I checked the serial cable from the UPS to the server and the power cable from the UPS to the outlet, both are OK.

Any suggestions whatsoever would be more then welcome.
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

The UPS service listed in Services list is a window generic service, not applied for HP R3000 and should be set to "manual" or "disabled". You should find HP Power Manager under the Service list. The icon on the taskbar would enable or disable this service. Save the attached hpups.inf and scan device again and select this driver. (If not, powercycle the UPS then powercycle your server)
CypherMike
Advisor

Thank you for your response Brian.

I have the UPS service (the generic one) disabled and the HP Power Manager on Automatic/Started.

The UPS is still missing. I'll powercycle both the UPS and the server as instructed and report back.
CypherMike
Advisor

I followed your suggestion and it works as normal now.

Thank you.