Servers - General
1752630 Members
5918 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: USB keyboard and mouse do not work on IP KVM

Michael Horrocks

USB keyboard and mouse do not work on IP KVM

We have two HP IP KVM 2x1x16 switches and I cannot get the USB keyboard and mouse to work on my servers. I can plug a USB keyboard and mouse into the IP console switch and it works but when I console to one of my servers that is connected via USB, I have keyboard or mouse, just video.

Can anyone supply any solutions? The servers in question are Dell 2950's and 1950's and do not have PS/2 ports.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Horrocks

Nobody has any answers to this question? Did I post in the wrong area?
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

this is the networking area, other area may be more apropriate.

I looked into the manual
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=1846547&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport1.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc00678358%2Fc00678358.pdf
this says nothing about using a USB keyboard/mouse for the local console.
It describes only using local PS/2 keyboard/mouse, with the USB ports being used for "virtual media" when the right adapter is used (Remote Virtual Media and USB pass-through requires AF603A or AF604A Interface Adapters).
Michael Horrocks

Thanks for responding. I didn't see another area that was appropriate for this posting, so if you know where it should be posted, it would be much appreciated.
I already have the pdf you included in your response, and the issue is using the USB plug on the AF604A to plug into a server, but I don't get any response from the keyboard or mouse, just monitor. The picture on page 22 of the pdf shows the server (1) using the AF604A adapter and using the USB for keyboard/mouse support. I don't have any issues using USB keyboard and mouse on the console switch just on attached servers which don't have PS/2 ports, just USB. I have updated all firmware and software to no avail and really am at a loss as to why it doesn't work.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Michael Horrocks

Yea, been there too. I have tried enable and disable for USB 2.0 support but with no luck.

What I might try (which I have not yet, because they are production servers) is a reboot of the servers themselves and double check BIOS to see if anything jumps out at me.

Thursday nights into Friday morning are my windows update nights and I can reboot, so I will try that and see what happens tomorrow night.

Up until we got the HP IP Console switches, I would simply hook up a monitor, and USB keyboard and mouse to the servers, wheeling the cart around the racks, not very productive, I know, but that is why we got the IP Console Switches.