Servers - General
1753959 Members
7203 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to shutdown completely shutdow or restart PC connected to R3000 XR

Robert Plein

Unable to shutdown completely shutdow or restart PC connected to R3000 XR

I have a dx2000 connected to a R3000 XR on com1. when ever I try to shutdown or restart, windows gets to the point where it's ready to reset or turn off the power ( after the windows is shutting down window closes) and the system hangs. Keyboard and mouse are un-responsive, the power light on the pc is out, I can still eject the cd-rom, and the monitor is still on showing the desktop background. If I disconnect the cable in com1 then the PC finishes powering off or restarting.
4 REPLIES 4
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unable to shutdown completely shutdow or restart PC connected to R3000 XR

Robert,

1) Which UPS management software do you use to manage the R3000 XR? For a single serial connected UPS, I would recommend you to use HP Power Manager. You may download the software at http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/power-manager/index.html
2) You mentioned Windows. I assume this is Windows XP Professional SP1 or SP2?
3) Make sure your dx2000 BIOS settings to restart to "Last stage"
4) Make sure the power cable of your dx2000 plugged to one of the load segment on back of the R3000 XR. I assume you will have additional servers that draw power from these load segments also.
5) After installing and configuring HP Power Manager on your dx2000 (as the Management server component), you may test your shutdown/restart process by clicking on "Cycle" button on the "Attached Devices" page.

Thanks,
Steve
Robert Plein

We're using Rack & Power Manager, only he agent is loaded on the dx2000.
Windows XP tried with Sp1 and 2.
There are two servers also connected to the R3000.

I will check the BIOS settings.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Robert,

I would recommend you to switch to HP Power Manager. HP Rack and Power Manager application is meant for datacenter type of setup where you must be able to manage many UPSs. Hance, the configuration and operation of the HP Rack and Power Manager are fairly complex. HP Power Manager is a much simplier application for your scenario. Let me know if you have any question on using the software.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Robert,

When you mentioned that there are 2 servers connected to the UPS, I assume you meant their power cords are connected to the UPS (the servers are the UPS's load). HP Power Manager may be installed on one of the servers or on a different machine. Have you had any luck on trying out your setup with HP Power Manager software?

Thanks,
Steve