Servers - General
1753774 Members
6413 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to ascertain what processor to get??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

how to ascertain what processor to get??

I'm researching what new servers to get.

I'm seeking Proliant Gen10 DL360 servers with the 32GB SD storage for VMware, at least 8 NICs, 128 or 192 GB RAM apiece, nothing else. But I'm puzzled how to choose which processor to put in it.

We only need maybe at least 10 cores, not too many more, with 2 CPU per host.

I have another setup with 3 DL36'0's each running two Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz, which I believe is a 10-core chip. And it's doing just fine.

What might be an equivalent chip for the Gen10 servers that might also be a tad faster?? At least 10 cores/processor.

Thank you, Tom

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I hope all is well.

Please follow the below HPE documents for your reference 

HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen10 Server - Overview

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00018801en_us
HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server - Overview

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00019682en_us

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Neither link works and we don't want the 380.

Meanwhile, thank you for providing a generically unhelpful reply that does not answer the question(s) I asked.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Could you help me, Are you looking at which generation model server. ( Gen 8 , Gen9 or Gen10) and what exactly are you looking?

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

AndrewF80
Visitor
Solution

He CLEARLY stated in his OP what he wanted.

OP, the names have changed a lot and I also find it hard to know which CPU is best.

The splitting of them into Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze can help. As they bundle htem into categories relevant to performance and price.

I suppose the question only you can answer is do you need high per core performance over multiple cores and what's your budget?
Silver 4210 Processor provides 10 cores per CPU and is pretty cost effective. It's per core performance is not as high as some of the other CPUs though. Heat and power consumption is relatively low.