Servers - General
1752317 Members
6147 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to reduce fan noise in a DL380

luckyfat

how to reduce fan noise in a DL380

Our DL380 G10 server sometime, also if the temperature is constant, increase the speed of the fans. How it is possible to reduce the noise (= fan speed to hight)? Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Anu_K
HPE Pro

Re: how to reduce fan noise in a DL380

Hello,

Please check if there are any failure messages on the server when fan noise started.

Also, there is a documented fix to the fan noise issue on this server, you can refer to the advisory at https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00099009en_us

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

AmRa
HPE Pro

Please follow the below action and share the observation.

1. Update server component firmware to latest revision.

2. Set workload profiles as Virtualization - Max Performance in RBSU.

3. Set thermal configuration to Optimal Cooling in RBSU.

Procedure

1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Advanced Options > Fan and Thermal Options > Thermal      Configuration.
  2. Select a setting.

тАвOptimal CoolingтАФProvides the most efficient solution by configuring fan speeds to the minimum required to provide adequate cooling.

тАвIncreased CoolingтАФOperates fans at a higher speed.

тАвMaximum CoolingтАФProvides the maximum cooling available for the system.

тАвEnhanced CPU CoolingтАФProvides additional cooling to the processors, which can improve performance.

• Save your setting.

4. Disable the тАЬIntel Turbo Boost TechnologyтАЭ and disable Processor Jitter Control in RBSU.

5. Verify that all air baffles and required blanks, such as drive blanks, processor heatsink blanks, power supply blanks, etc., are installed.

6. Disable HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter from RBSU and check fan noise status.

7. Later enable HPE Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 331i Adapter from RBSU and check fan noise status.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Max90
Occasional Collector

I have a similar problem.
Every 15-20 minutes the server fans start running at 70-80% of full speed for approximately 40 seconds, then slow down to normal (quiet) speed for 15-20 minutes and cycle again.
The BIOS version is 1.36 of February 2018, I tried to update in online mode on windows server 2016 but without success (error before installation). I would now like to try to do the offline update (version 2.42 feb2021) using this method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwYOqyNaj5I

do you say it will work?

GoUbuntu
Regular Visitor

Disconnect the attached storage and use the sata ports instead, that should reduce the noise significantly