Servers - General
1753565 Members
5716 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ip console switch expansion module

Stan Kappiris

ip console switch expansion module

I plugged the exp. module into a patch block away and I'm unable to see the servers that are connected to the expansion module. When i move the exp. module to the IPCS I can see servers but they all display connected to the same port (in this case Port 16).
I updated the IA's and they all work on the main console switch.
If I have to upgrade the firmware on the expansion module how do I do that if I can't see it listed anywhere. Matter of fact, how do I upgrade the firmware on the IPCS?

I'd like to be able to keep the exp. module connected to the patch block but I guess the distance from the IPCS is too far.
If I'm reading the versions screen correctly the firmware version for the IPCS is 2.1.5
Sorry for all the questions...
Any help appreciate.

3 REPLIES 3
Alex King
Advisor

When using a Port Expansion Module all servers will appear to be connected to the same port in the OSD of the KVM Switch. The reason for that is that the PEM is a passive device so all servers connected to it share the port on the KVM Switch that the PEM is connected to.

I updated the IA's and they all work on the main console switch.
If I have to upgrade the firmware on the expansion module how do I do that if I can't see it listed anywhere.
The Port Expansion Module cannot be upgraded.

Matter of fact, how do I upgrade the firmware on the IPCS?
The procedure for upgrading the firmware on an IPCS is documented in the User's Guide and also in a text file that is included with the firmware that addresses the TFTP server installation.

I'd like to be able to keep the exp. module connected to the patch block but I guess the distance from the IPCS is too far.

Total distance between the Interface Adapter and the IPCS cannot exceed the distance limitations for the resolution that you want. For 50 ft. of distance you can use a resolution of 1024 x 768.

If I'm reading the versions screen correctly the firmware version for the IPCS is 2.1.5
2.1.5 is the current shipping FW.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Stan, is your patch block wired straight through? Maybe you have a wiring issure with it? Did you try a crossover cable to the patch block?

Can't see whyit would not work that way. I used regular CAT5 cables in a test environment and it worked just fine. It could be just a wiring issue.

As for upgrading the firmware on the IPCS, you should be able to do that from the same interface that you upgrade the IA's with. At least as far as Ican remember it was there. Haven't touched an IPCS in almost 6 months. Sigh.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Stan Kappiris

thanks to both of you for your input. I'll try the crossover cable idea.