1752599 Members
5120 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: kvm switch with rj45 serial port

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

kvm switch with rj45 serial port

i have an older compaq kvm 1x8 switch that has what lookes like an rj45 where the serial port is. I just received a new 1x8 and it would make sence to upgrade the bios on the old one (even though i haven't had any problems) to be the same version as on the new kvm. I need the pinouts for this rj45 port to do the upgrade.
i cant get the actual part number fropm the old kvm since it is in use and rack mounted just above our main proliant 6000.( not to mention the wiring this box has...)

P.S. This thread has been moved from Communications, Wireless (Legacy ITRC forum)  to Servers > general. -HP Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Doesn't work that way... That port is NOT for firmware updates, but for "daisy-chaining" the older switchboxes. Plus, that model can not be flashed anyway (physical firmware has to be replaced).

KVM switchbox ROM spare P/N: 340579-001
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

i'll look into the biod upgrade, but
are there any difficulties chaining a new version off the old one?
since the old one has all my current servers + one empty port for this box.
also when can i find a pdf on the old box, i cant find that cd...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I also have an older kvm switch (Series 4110) and I cannot find the user guide for it. Is the guide available online?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

svalery - You want to daisy-chain the old switchbox off the new - NOT the other way around.

n7hmw - Can you describe that switchbox better (don't have a reference to a "4110")? Does it have buttons on the front or not?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I also have two Compaq series 4110 kvm switches and I was wondering about firmware upgrades and user manuals.........
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have this Series 4110 and it has no buttons on front...Can I get the Manual from anywhere? I just need to know how to hook it up and how to switch between PC`s
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a problem with a proliant ml350, with win2k it can't find the mouse on that server

I found this kvm as spare part 242695-001
but can't find any support on it
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

mstrdigi:
I'm also having problems with these but only when daisy chained. It seems to lose the mouse or keyboard from certain servers but I can usually get it back by pressing Print screen then F2 then reset but they always seem to die again eventually. I've tried swapping them around but to no avail so I don't think it's hardware. Someone HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Some KVMs have a "snapshot" function that records operating parameters, allowing resets to work more reliably.