1748237 Members
3860 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

proliant ml310e gen8 v2 network adapter link down

ftj
Occasional Advisor

proliant ml310e gen8 v2 network adapter link down

The system health light is blinking. The ilo states network adapter link down (slot y, port x). This error has occurred in the past and then apparently self-repair has occurred. This time it hasn't self-repaired. The knowledge base describing how to repair has not worked.  Other suggestions are sought for repair.

By way of background - to make certain that the system degraded light was not caused by something else I did some checks and could find nothing else at fault  (in particular Raid drives all green, temp fine, etc.). If the link repair isn't achieved is it all right to leave the system as is? Namely nothing catastrophic imminent Tks, tj

11 REPLIES 11
support_s
System Recommended

Query: proliant ml310e gen8 v2 network adapter link down

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant Servers - Network Adapter Link Down or Network Packet Drops Due to Out Of Buffer Space

2. HPE ProLiant ML310e Generation 8 (Gen8) v2

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

ftj
Occasional Advisor

Re: Query: proliant ml310e gen8 v2 network adapter link down

Thank you for the links. The fixes I looked at with no joy were the ones described in the 1st link. I added the 2nd one to the manuals files. Still seeking other possible repairs and mostly whether there is need to worry about health blinking light. tj

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please do try the below steps.

1. Update the adapter firmware and driver

2. Please do reseat the network cables and the adapter

3. Please ensure Agentless Management Service is installed.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ftj
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your response.. I did do a driver update for the adapter and it stated the driver was the most current. I did not mess with the firmware however because the system is working, other than the blinking health light, so I thought it would be better to not take the chance of making it worse (ie if it ain't broke don't fix it). I have not tried to reset any internal cables. I will check to see if the Anentless Mgmt Service is installed.  I would welcome your comment about the seriousness of this error and if it is the only error that is setting off the health light. See jpeg of the Ilo log. Tks, tj

IloLogftjProliant.jpg

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

The error usually repairs itself.

We recommend you to update both, driver and firmware to avoid any mismatches.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ftj
Occasional Advisor

Thank you. I will follow your recommendation, however, I'm a volunteer so I may not be able to do it for a week or two. I'm assuming that it is not an error that would cause the overall system to crash. Correct?

We appreciate your personal assistance and HPE's excellent customer service. tj

ftj
Occasional Advisor

I just did some searching for instructions as to how to update the firmware and was a bit overwhelmed. It appears that some experience is needed as the consequences of doing it incorrectly appear severe.  What are the consequences of not updating the firmware? 

A 2nd question is how to check the current version on board as it appears the last update was in 2013 and the system wasn't purchased until 2014 so assume it came with the latest update.  Sorry for extending this string but truly appreciate your guidance. tj

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

We would suggest to log a case with us to verify the firmware details available from iLO -> AHS logs and suggest the next plan of action.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

ftj
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the follow-up. How do I log a case with you? 

There are 2 ethernet ports on this device, are there two adapters also?.  If so would switching the connection to the 2nd port. possibly eliminate the adapter error? Thank you for your continuing help.