7420 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Serial Relay Agent" Its not CLI causing error

Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

"Serial Relay Agent" Its not CLI causing error

Well fellas,

I have installed the rack and power manager on 1 server and have the serial agent running on 2 servers along with the shutdown agents. I have installed the shutdown agents also on about 20 servers over 2 UPS's and No problems at all.

Then i get to the next cabinet, install the serial lead, install R&P manager and then the fun started. The log is filling up with SRA errors, So surfing around and i see that there is an advisory from HP stating that the SRA sometimes has issues with the CLI on the ILO so i disable the CLI thinking that would solve it but it didnt.

The server its connected to is a DL380 G4 and the UPS is a R5500XR.

Any help will be appreciated because i cant find anything thats different between the servers.

what i have noticed is that i had to install a driver on the other 2 servers but the one i configuring now hasnt asked or picked up the UPS? the R and P manager did pick it up for about 3 or 4 minutes but then the dreaded "Connection Lost to Device" message.

BOFH since 1999
3 REPLIES 3
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

I am assuming this is the steps that you followed?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EX050502_CW01

If the server is not detecting the UPS at all have you verified that nothing else is utilizing the COM port? Maybe try and connect to a switch as a test through hyperterminal.

Check your cable? See if this server can connect to one of your known working UPSs with the cable that it is using as a sanity check.
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

Yes i followed the steps to that link - Thanks dude.

I have also tried the following

Connecting the ups in cab 3 to the server runing the SRA in cab 2 and low and behold no problems at all. So i have established that there is nothing wrong with the com port on the ups and there is nothing wrong with the cable.

I have now used that cable to connect the ups in cab 3 to the server in cab 3 running the SRA but the relay agent is filling the event logs. Note on this server i have completly disabled the ILO so there is no chance that the cli portion of it is causing problems.

The only difference i can see between the servers is one has EPO AV on it and the other doesnt - but surely thats not it?

Thanks for the reply man its getting very fustrating and in about 1 hour i'm gonna ask my boss to get the snmp option card that should have been purchased with it in the first place lol.

Any other ideas i would really appreciate it.
BOFH since 1999
Marcus Martin
Frequent Advisor

Oh sorry and yes i verified the com port was free using hyperterminal. i put in the baud rate and the other settings and once i disabled the SRA the HT connected immediately.
BOFH since 1999