Servers - General
1752525 Members
4787 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ups hp PowerTrust II new installation...

Jonathan Caplette_1
Super Advisor

ups hp PowerTrust II new installation...

Hi guys,

I've installed an HP PowerTrust II on my rp5430 server. I've linked the UPS with the server with the DB9 cable, that was provided with the UPS, from the UPS to the GSP Card on the server. I believe it was there it should be connected, cause I have a cable with 3 DB9 connection, connected to the GSP card, on that cable I have one written "console", one "ups" and another that I don't remember the name. I connected the UPS to the "ups" one.

Now I'm trying to configure the ups_mond to send me a notification by e-mail to tell me when there's a power failure. I started the ups_mond and I got this error in my syslog:

Sep 30 10:23:10 ssux3103 /usr/lbin/ups_mond[23724]: /usr/lbin/ups_mond: UPS Monitor daemon starting; using configuration file /etc
/ups_conf
Sep 30 10:23:13 ssux3103 /usr/lbin/ups_mond[23724]: /usr/lbin/ups_mond: UPS /dev/tty0p1 read failed: Bad file number; Uninterruptab
le Power Supply has not been connected correctly; loss of power would not be detectible
Sep 30 10:23:19 ssux3103 /usr/lbin/ups_mond[23724]: /usr/lbin/ups_mond: UPS /dev/tty0p1 read of status failed: Bad file number

I checked on /dev directory and "tty0p1" device file is there. So I searched on the internet and found that from this forum:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/parseCurl.do?CURL=%2Fcm%2FQuestionAnswer%2F1%2C%2C0x8c7b85079106d71190050090279cd0f9%2C00.html&admit=716493758+1064412526713+28353475

It says to use "Kermit" to connect to the UPS. But I got a problem with that... At the kermit prompt I write this :

set line tty0p1
(Where tty0p1 is the name of upstty written in /etc/ups_conf file). I got this error:

Sorry, can't open connection: tty0p1

It seems that I can't communicate with my ups... Who could I achieve that???

Regards
Jonathan
11 REPLIES 11
Jonathan Caplette_1
Super Advisor

Sorry I mean How could I achieve that??? and not "Who could achieve that... " :) I think I will be able to do something with your help ;)
RolandH
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

are you sure you have the right device.
I have configured tty0p3 for my ups, which is connected to ups caple port.

HTH
Roland
Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win
RolandH
Honored Contributor

Jonathan, in the kermit programm use the full path to the device.

ie.
set line /dev/tty0p1

Roland
Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi Jonathan,
I don't believe that ups_mond can send email notifications - for that you'll probably need UPS Manager II.

Anyway, back to your Kermit issue... Were you in /dev when you started Kermit? If not, you should give the full path of the device file, ie: set line /dev/tty0p1

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
Jonathan Caplette_1
Super Advisor

Hi guys,

I've tried to do a "set line /dev/tty0p1" at the kermit prompt. It didn't give me the error back, instead I got a white line with a blinking cursor... I've no prompt, I can't do a ctrl-C, I tried to kiil the kermit session "kill -9", "kill -3" nothing work?? any idea how can I get out of this?? And if tty0p1 is not my good device, how can I set other tty0p? ???

Thanks
Jonathan
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hmmm - are you sure you were at the Kermit prompt? If not, try doing Ctrl-\ c to get back to the prompt, then type quit.

As for the exact device file you are using, just use set line /dev/ttywhatever, where devwhatever is _your_ device file. You want to use the tty device file (rather than ttyd, cul or cua) and you must use the full path.

regards,

Darren.
Jonathan Caplette_1
Super Advisor

Darren,

Yes I was at the Kermit prompt:

[/] C-Kermit>set line /dev/tty0p1

I tried Ctrl-\ c and nothing append???

And for the ttywhatever, I can use tty0p2 even if in my /dev directory I've no file named tty0p2?? How I can create some tty device file?

Thanks
Help appreciated!!
Jonathan
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Kermit may be in a confused state - possibly hung on IO. Use ps -ef | grep kermit to check if there are multiple kermits running, before trying to kill it.

Kermit will not be able to connect to a non-existant device file - you'll need to use mknod or insf to create it. The following document id contains info on creating these device files, and is available if your ITRC profile is linked to your contract: HLCLAKBCA00001389

regards,

Darren.
Jonathan Caplette_1
Super Advisor

How can I get that document???