Servers: The Right Compute
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back for an Encore: First x86 server to achieve over 1 Million max-jOPS

msemadeni

Have you ever been asked if there is ever too much of a good thing?  I am sure we could answer this question in multiple ways, but when it comes to system performance I think we could all agree that a faster system is generally a good thing.

In June of this year HP released a benchmark that doubled the performance of the previous record holder.  When benchmarks like this come out I am always a little skeptical.  For example, the system could be a cluster of servers or some other unrealistic perameter that means very little in the real world.  But in this case, this benchmark is based on a real life shipping system, the HP ConvergedSystem 900 for SAP HANA.

This record was achieved based on memory and processor improvements HP submitted into the upstream kernel.  And thanks to a lot of hard work and collaboration with SUSE, HP achieved this amazing result.

Today HP and SUSE are back for an encore as HP becomes the first x86 server vendor to achieve over 1 million max-jOPS and near linear scalability from 8 sockets to 16 sockets.  Why is this so impressive?  Because in-memory database applications like SAP HANA now have the muscle power to deliver the performance required for these applications.

Finally, a system exists that is firmly grounded in the real world and can live up to the hype. 

If you are at SUSECon 2014 come to our session today to learn more. 

SPEC and the benchmark name SPECjbb are registered trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC). See spec.org/jbb2013/. The stated HP results are submitted to SPEC; the stated competitive results are published as of 11-17-14.

0 Kudos
About the Author

msemadeni