Servers: The Right Compute
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE Intelligent System Tuning: Core Boosting Now Available

Jay_Hendrickson

Maximize the performance of all the cores in your processors with Core Boosting, the newest feature of HPE Intelligent System Tuning, ready to deliver performance improvement and lower core-based licensing costs.

Blog_IST_Boost.jpgIf you follow the latest server offerings of HPE, you’ve heard of Intelligent Systems Tuning (IST). It’s the cool server technology that we’ve developed in partnership with Intel that lets you harness additional performance by tuning your server to correspond to the application workload you want to run.

IST helps you save money on software licensing costs and improve the performance of your servers.

Interested? I thought so.

Two components of IST were introduced earlier this year: Workload Matching and Jitter Smoothing. Workload Matching is essentially a menu of preconfigured BIOS settings that match common application workloads. Jitter Smoothing addresses some negative side effects that you get when enabling Intel’s Turbo Boost mode. . . things like latency and deterministic performance.

You can get more information on these technologies at www.hpe.com/info/ist or by checking out my latest blog post on Intelligent System Tuning

Now, I’m here to talk about the newest feature of IST: Core Boosting

Core Boosting technology can really pull the maximum performance out of each and every core in your processor. And when you do that, you don’t need to buy as many systems which means you can save big dollars on those pesky core based licensing costs. And who doesn’t like to save money?

How does Core Boosting work?

Simply put, it allows more active cores to run at maximum Turbo Boost frequency. By the way, this is done without overclocking the processor, so you get to keep your Intel warranty and reliability. It’s actually pretty cool but first I need to describe how Intel processor frequencies work. Don’t worry, this is a BLOG…not a technical white paper. We’ll stay in shallow water.

Let’s examine an Intel 16-core processor with a base frequency of 2.5 Ghz and, when Turbo Boost mode is enabled, a maximum frequency of 3.0 Ghz.

Suppose you run the processor in base mode (i.e., Turbo Boost mode is NOT enabled). If you have a workload that uses a single core (i.e., there is only one core that is active), the processor will run at 2.5 Ghz. If the workload uses more cores, and/or if you add more workloads, the processor will continue to run at 2.5 Ghz. Even if you utilize all 16 cores (i.e., all 16 cores are active), the processor will run at 2.5 Ghz. Are you with me?

Now, suppose you enable Intel’s Turbo Boost Mode. In this mode, the processor will opportunistically run up to a maximum of 3.0 Ghz. The key concept is opportunity. When the opportunity to get up to 3.0 Ghz presents itself, the processor will go there. So if you run that same workload on a single core, you may be able to get up to the 3.0 Ghz for extended periods of time. However, as you add more workloads and/or activate more cores, more heat is generated. Power and heat affect opportunity and the opportunities to get to 3.0 Ghz decrease as more cores become active. In fact, to keep reliability high, the processor will run at 3.0 Ghz when all 16 cores are active. The opportunistic maximum frequency may only be at 2.6 Ghz. Are you still with me?

Which brings us to Core Boosting

What if you could cool the processor enough to run more active cores at, or near, maximum turbo frequency? If you could, you would get more performance per core and therefore more performance per server.

HPE and Intel have come up with a processor that allows you to do just that. Core Boosting is the newest feature of our new Intelligent System Tuning story that can help you realize significant performance. Because of the higher performing cores, you can run more virtual machines (VMs). 10% more*  to be exact when compared to the Intel 6142 16-core processor. I like that. And when compared to the Intel 8180 28-core processor, you’re only paying  half the price per VM. I like that too. You also get to buy fewer licenses for core-base licensing applications. I like that even better.

Find out about Core Boosting availability and get more information

Core Boosting is now available exclusively on the ProLiant DL380 Gen10 and Apollo XL230K Gen10 with a select Intel 16-core processor, performance heatsinks and fans. An iLO Advanced license or an iLO Advanced Premium Security Edition license is also required to enable the Core Boosting feature.

Find out more about Intelligent System Tuning and Core Boosting.

VMmark® is a product of VMware, Inc.  VMmark results published as of 08-26-17.  VMmark disclosures available at http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00023030enw and http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00023031enw

0 Kudos
About the Author

Jay_Hendrickson

Jay has spent over 17 years in HPE engineering program management and product management. He is currently the WW Product Manager for Intelligent System Tuning and the WW Product Manager for our HPE iLO security offerings. Past endeavours included infrastructure for Linux software, virtualization, OpenStack, and our HPE Security software offerings. He enjoys running, motorcycle touring, and occasionally breaking out his guitar.