Servers: The Right Compute
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent System Tuning saves up to $200K on TCO over three years

Scott_Faasse

Learn how Core Boosting, one of the innovative capabilities that come with Intelligent System Tuning (IST), delivers radical savings on TCO. Interested in saving $200K? Read on.

blog_ hpe-intelligent-system-tuning-core-booster-tco.jpgReady for more performance at less cost?  Aren’t we all.

If you follow my previous blogs, you’ve heard about the performance gains that come with our Core Boosting technology, one of the three features of Intelligent System Tuning (IST), which is exclusively available on HPE ProLiant Gen10 servers.

Need a quick recap? IST leverages exclusive technology developed through close partnership with Intel that allows users to dynamically configure server resources to match specific workloads and achieve higher levels of performance, efficiency, and control in your server environment. It’s made up of three innovative capabilities—Jitter Smoothing, Workload Matching, and Core Boosting—that together can deliver double digit boosts in performance.(1)

• Jitter Smoothing—Improve Intel processor frequency up to 12% over base with low latency and deterministic processor performance(2)
  • Workload Matching—Tune BIOS settings with preconfigured server profiles that match your workload and save hours of time while improving performance
  • Core Boosting—Maximize the performance of all your processor cores for a 14% improvement compute performance and 10% more virtual machines(3),(4)

So you know Core Boosting can dramatically improve processor performance.

Today, I want to focus on Core Boosting’s radical cost advantage that can greatly improve your savings when dealing with core-based licensing.

Radical TCO savings with Core Boosting

Generally speaking, if you want something to run faster, you are going to pay more for it. Makes sense, right? You pay for better performance. Most of the time, the questions are: how much more will I pay and for the increase, and is it worth it?

Another thing to consider is when, where and who are you going to pay for taking advantage of increased performance. The total cost increase isn’t always limited to the price of higher performing parts themselves, sometimes there are other costs to consider. Core based software/support licenses is one. Increased energy spend may be another.

Figure 1 shows the total cost of ownership of an Oracle Database solution, running on a 2-socket HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 and the total number of transactions per minute that can be achieved by varying the processor selection. The total cost includes the unit price of all hardware, increased energy spend differential, database licenses, partitioning and support for three years.Figure 1.pngFigure 1

What should stand out immediately here is that the Core Boosting Intel® Xeon® Scalable Gold 6143 processor achieves an 11% increase in performance versus its counterpart—the Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6142—for an insignificant increase in overall total cost. (I’d say free but. . . I’m not allowed to. In math classes throughout my life, I’ve been taught about about numerical significance. This folks is what we call insignificant or less than a fifth of a percent!)

What you should also notice is the tiers in total cost as we compare the various processor options. There is approximately $200K difference between leveraging a 16 core processor versus an 18 core processor; and yet another $200K more for leveraging a 20 core processor. I’ve compared the minor difference in overall performance between the Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6148 and the Core Boosting Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6143 in the past and have noted that while the 6148 has a very slight edge, software costs associated with those additional cores may be steep. As you can see, it would be an increase in up to nearly $390K in total cost to choose the 6148 vs the Core Boosting 6143.

However, you look at it, at a minimum, without core boosting, you are going to pay $200K in extra cost to achieve more performance than the 6142. Also, when comparing to the 18 core Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6154, you are paying 12% more in total cost, for only a 5.5% increase in performance over the Core Boosting 6143.

Core Boosting is more cost efficient

We can look at this another way and compare how Core Boosting stacks up to other processor when it comes down to cost for units of performance (in this case, transactions per minute.) Figure 2 shows the same total cost per TPM of comparable Gold SKUs.Figure 2.pngFigure 2

As you can clearly see, the Core Boosting Intel Xeon Scalable Gold 6143 offers the most cost efficient solution. It is 6% better than a processor with the same power consumption (6154), 11% better than a processor with the same core count (6142) and a whopping 18% better than a processor that offers equivalent performance overall (6148).

Core Boosting: when you want more performance at a lower overall cost

So why should you be taking a hard look at Core Boosting on HPE ProLiant and HPE Synergy? Well, it simply performs better and can do so at a lower cost. I don’t know about you, but I like gear that performs better without having to spend a lot more for it! And, if it can save me money overall, even better! HPE is the only server provider to offer the Core Boosting SKUs and we do so while maintaining the standard Intel Warranty and with the same reliability guarantees that you come to expect when buying HPE ProLiant and HPE Synergy.

Find out more information on Core Boosting and all the other goodness that comes with our new Intelligent System Tuning features.

Or better yet, check out this video from HPE Discover in June where I talk more about how to achieve better server performance with Jitter Smoothing and Core Boosting.

Also hear Bob Moore, Director of Server Software and Product Security, talk more about Intelligent System Tuning

1 Based on internal HPE testing in May 2017

2 HPE Internal testing from Performance Engineering Benchmarking team, April 2017

3 Comparing the Intel Xeon Scalable 6143 16-core processor to the 6142 16-core processor. HPE Internal Benchmark Testing, August 2017.

4 Comparing the Intel Xeon Scalable 6143 16-core processor to the 6142 16-core processor. VMmark® is a product of VMware, Inc.  VMmark results published as of 08-26-17.  VMmark disclosures available at http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00023030enw

and http://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00023031enw

0 Kudos
About the Author

Scott_Faasse

Scott Faasse is a Distinguished Technologist and HPE’s expert on Platform and Processor Power Management and Performance. Since joining Compaq/HP/HPE in 2001, Scott has served as the lead platform firmware developer for six generations of the ProLiant DL380 Server, architected and developed HPE’s Power Regulator feature, lead HPE in several industry standards and partner collaboration efforts, and is one of the principal technologist behind HPE’s Intelligent System Tuning. Scott is also an avid outdoorsman. He enjoys hiking long distances with a really heavy backpack (rucking), camping with family, fly fishing in urban settings, and traditional archery.