Servers: The Right Compute
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NonStop Systems and node.js

jjsim

“Node.js is emerging as a universal platform used for web applications, IoT, and enterprise. The Node.js User Survey report features insights on emerging trends happening in this massive community that serves as a leading indicator on trends like microservices architectures, real-time web applications, Internet of Things (IoT).” See https://nohttps://nodejs.org/en/blog/announcements/nodejs-foundation-survey/?utm_source=nodeweekly&utm_medium=emaildejs.org/en/blog/announcements/nodejs-foundation-survey/?utm_source=nodeweekly&utm_medium=email for the complete story.

Node.js and javascript are interesting to NonStop because the model and architecture are much better fits for our architecture than general Java. Why do I say that? Java has developed over the years on SMP based architectures and when multicore systems were developed Java programmers took advantage of the cores through threading. This allowed the programmers some control over performance and efficiencies making use of all available cores, but of course, complicating the program design. NonStop has always been based on a massively parallel, shared-nothing architecture where performance and efficiency are achieved by cloning programs and distributing requests among the clones. Now a side benefit to this design is that generally the programs do not have the complexity that their highly multi-threaded SMP counterparts do.

From my good friend and colleague Keith Moore, he writes - There was a tiny news item in today’s HPE news that could be really important going forward. It was a news blurb that stated that Microsoft has embraced REACT Native as a supported client-side presentation framework. This means that all of the major client vendors (iOS, Android, Google web (not the same as Android), and now Microsoft) are now supporting React Native. Why does this matter? It matters because it makes React the lingua franca and interface design rules source for cross-platform web/Internet client design. [It is basically a realization of what the vision was for WebOS back in the old Palm days.]

Here is the news clip:

• Microsoft to require TPM 2.0 on upcoming Windows 10 devices; adds UWP support to React Native.  IDG and TechRadar report that Microsoft announced that all shipping devices for Windows 10 across all SKU types will be required to use Trusted Platform Module 2.0 discrete or firmware starting July 28. The company said that the requirement will be enforced through the Windows Hardware Certification program. Separately, ZDNet, InfoWorld, VentureBeat, TechCrunch and TheNextWeb report that Microsoft and Facebook announced at F8 2016 the addition of Universal Windows Platform support to the React Native open source project. Microsoft said that the support will be provided as an open source, community-supported framework, and that it will also provide open source tools and services to help Windows app developers create React Native apps. 

Being on the server side, we sort-of don’t care about the actual React framework as a function of client design. However, as part of most popular MVC frameworks in JavaScript, we can now also assume that ALL client types including iOS, Microsoft, and Android, have full access to all of the server-side application software that uses JavaScript. For example, Express.js (an MVC framework) is one significant example that runs on NonStop. This sort of design works on Nonstop as a mix-mode client-server MVC service. This is a typical new microservices design model that we (in theory) now support.

Based on Keith’s observations I want to remind everyone that because we have node.js on NonStop we were able to do our Internet of Things demo at the last NonStop bootcamp. Having that allowed us to download and use open-source middleware (we choose Mosca, but were not limited to that choice) and a content data store, Redis. All running on NonStop thanks to node.js so when the reveolution occurs we are ready!

About the Author

jjsim

Comments
Dean E Malone

Great piece Justin.  Just one comment.  You embedded a link that maps to a PC file, perhaps you can update it with what you intended for us to see?

jjsim

Dean,  Thanks.  Very good to hear from you.  I apologize for the tease.  It was working from my original but sometimes the hyperlinks don't make it through the post and I should have checked.  I'll see if I can get the source from Keith and report.  In the meantime I'm taken the link out.

Justin

Francis Kim

Glad I learned React. Have yet to play with React Native, but I sure do love Node.js