Servers: The Right Compute
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the HP SUM 7.1.0 scripting interface to update HP servers—an alternative approach.

Diana_Z

As I continually learn more about our technology and our customers, I discovered that many server administrators prefer the use of scripting tools (as opposed to a GUI interface) and I am pleased to report several HP products offer a scripting interface. As a result of this discovery, I decided to explore this programming world and I accomplished that with one of my favorite server updating tools, HP Smart Update Manager (SUM).

HP SUM is the engine that deploys smart components for maintenance on HP ProLiant Servers, Integrity Servers, BladeSystem infrastructure, HP Moonshot Servers and related options. With HP ProLiant Gen9 launch, HP SUM 7.1.0 was enhanced with new features.

HP SUM provides the following three ways to run system commands outside the GUI:

• The HP SUM Command Line Interface (CLI) allows you to add all parameters in one command line, and then use the silent switch to execute the entire sequence on multiple nodes without any user interaction.
  • HP SUM CLI with Input Files allows you to add all parameters to a text file, and then call HP SUM using the input file command with the text filename as the parameter using a silent switch and requires no user interaction.
  • The HP SUM Interactive CLI provides an interactive method for each step of a process. This method is similar to using the GUI but you provide individual commands instead.

From this you can see how there are multiple non-GUI options to deploy driver and firmware updates. HP SUM’s CLIs use is generally associated with a larger number of systems being updated. In these situations we would normally leverage HP SUM CLI with Input Files.

However, there are environments with a smaller number of target nodes per servers and a CLI is still preferred. In this case, HP SUM 7.1.0 Interactive CLI is more ideal as it allows you to step through each process at a time.

So let’s get started and roll up our sleeves. With the help of Stu Bernstein, here are some simple steps (and some minimal prep’ of course) to perform the following scenario using an Interactive CLI:

Update server(s) remotely using a Service Pack for ProLiant component pack downloaded to your server through an Interactive Command Line Interface in a command line environment.

If you’re able – build and prepare a custom SPP baseline for the Server models and Operating Systems you have. This will assist in deployments, for both the time it takes to deploy as well as giving you additional control. A Custom SPP baseline takes only a few minutes to create and I will use one below.

1. Start a console/command-line session on your deployment or Management station:

HP SUM CLI.png

2. Change to the working directory where HP SUM is located (we need v7.1.0 to be able to use the Interactive CLI) and execute the command:

hpsum add /baselines <swpackage path> - here is the output from my workstation:

C:\fw\SUM>cd hpsum710

C:\fw\SUM\hpsum710>hpsum add /baselines c:\fw\spp\2014.09\custom\2014.09.1

"C:\fw\SUM\hpsum710\x64\hpsum_bin_x64.exe" add /baselines c:\fw\spp\2014.09\custom\2014.09.1

hpsum_service_x64.exe started successfully on port 63001, ssl port 63002 and ftp port disabled.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Added baseline c:\fw\spp\2014.09\custom\2014.09.1

Version: 2014.10.30.1

Name: custom 2014 10 30

3. Next – add your remote target node/Server – again, a simple command:

hpsum add /nodes <nodeip> user=Administrator password=password

If you do not want to specify UserID’s and Passwords straightaway you will be prompted for those credentials (and the password is not reflected as text on your screen) – the output returned as:

C:\fw\SUM\hpsum710>

C:\fw\SUM\hpsum710>hpsum add /nodes 192.168.1.40

"C:\fw\SUM\hpsum710\x64\hpsum_bin_x64.exe" add /nodes 192.168.1.40

Add in progress.

Please provide user for 192.168.1.40: Administrator

Please provide password for node 192.168.1.40 (Administrator):

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Add in progress.

Added 192.168.1.40. Ready to start inventory.

If you do not know the IP address or Host name(s) of the Servers you need to update – HP SUM can do that for you as well …

hpsum findavailablenodes /type ip [ip starting address ip upper address]

You can also extend the ‘add’ function to include more than one Server – listing the Server NetWork IP addresses as required:

hpsum add /nodes <a.a.a.a b.b.b.b c.c.c.c> user=Administrator password=password

4. An Inventory of your remote Server can be collected to tell you exactly it’s running state and versions of drivers and firmware. The report by default will be output to the same location as HP SUM is running from.

HP SUM inventory.png

hpsum inventory /nodes <nodeip> /baselines < swpackage path > - again, here is the output from my system:

C:\fw\SUM\hpsum710>hpsum inventory /nodes 192.168.1.40 /baselines c:\fw\spp\2014.09\custom\2014.09.1

"C:\fw\SUM\hpsum710\x64\hpsum_bin_x64.exe" inventory /nodes 192.168.1.40 /baselines c:\fw\spp\2014.09\custom\2014.09.1

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress. This may take a while.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Inventory in progress.

Successful inventory on baseline c:\fw\spp\2014.09\custom\2014.09.1

Version: 2014.10.30.1

Name: custom 2014 10 30

5. Time to deploy !! – simply execute the following command:

hpsum deploy /nodes <nodeip>

By default the HP SUM instance will use the SPP (custom) baseline you added earlier as well as the target node/Server we discovered.

If you need to update more than one Server using this method – then simply replace the <nodeip> with the additional NetWork IP addresses in each command. e.g. with the deploy function:

hpsum deploy /nodes a.a.a.a b.b.b.b c.c.c.c d.d.d.d

And that’s it. Once completed, your server will be running on the latest HP firmware, drivers, options and specific software! Easy and Simple. To learn additional HP SUM scripting functionality read the HP SUM 7.1.0 User Guide.

I am an HPE employee.
About the Author

Diana_Z

Events
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
October 9 - 10, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Visit this forum and get the schedules for online HPE Expert Days where you can talk to HPE product experts, R&D and support team members and get answ...
Read more