1747980 Members
4396 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 oracle databases sharing same volume group

brian nelson_1
Occasional Contributor

2 oracle databases sharing same volume group

I have 2 separate oracle databases on the same node sharing a volume group of disks.
Should i just have one MC/SG pkg that handles both databases for monitoring, halting, switching and startup, since both databases will have to be handled as a pair because of the sharing of the volume group?
If so, how can i configure 2 monitor scripts that handle both databases in the event of a failure? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Re: 2 oracle databases sharing same volume group

I would not normally recommend this, but since you have both databases sharing the VG you will have to define them in a single package. This reduces your flexibility in the envronment, but if the databases are logically connected so tightly that it makes no sense to run one without the other then perhaps this is not a drawback.

As to monitoring scripts, there should be no significantdifference between configuring 2 databases into the package and configuring one. Just make sure your startup, shutdown, monitoring scripts are aware of all databases/processes.
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

I have had to do the same thing in a couple of Serviceguard setups and have had no problems. Indeed one setup has three databases sharing the same package.

With disks getting so much bigger, in some cases, a lack of physical spindles makes it difficult to spread a database over enough to get good performance.

Also with the smaller K servers and SCSI disks the number of disks that can be connected becomes an issue in a Serviceguard environment where all the busses are dual connected.

I have just one monitor script that is driven from a file (/etc/svtab) that contains details of the databases to be started.
Anthony Goonetilleke
Esteemed Contributor

I think options are quite limited.
Because you are sharing the same VG you have no choice but to have one package. You can also have one monitor script that monitors all the essential components of both instances and moves the whole database in case of failure.
Minimum effort maximum output!