Operating System - HP-UX
1748003 Members
4393 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add a node online, new cluster id vgconfig?

SOLVED
Go to solution
G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Add a node online, new cluster id vgconfig?

Hi all,

We have the following situation:
We online added a node to a cluster. This works fine, but when we halt packages on the old node and start the package the start fails ( On same node/ new node):

vgchange: Activation mode requested for the volume group "/dev/vgq1200" conflict
s with configured mode.
ERROR: Function activate_volume_group
ERROR: Failed to activate vgq1200

A simple vgchange -c y on the volumegroup and the package starts again.

I can not find any comment on this in documentation. I guess this is coused by the new clusterid generated by the cmapplyconf but i am not sure. We tested this on two different clusters, on one we did the applyconf on the new node and on on a exsisting node. Both have the same results.

Is this normal behavour?

Regards,

Gideon
6 REPLIES 6
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Add a node online, new cluster id vgconfig?

Is this VG specified in the cluster ascii file?
If not, I seem to recall that this will clear the cluster aware flag for an VG's not listed.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

I'd agree with Melvyn. VG's mentioned in the cluster config file get SET as cluster aware by cmapplyconf. This is the only way it can be done without the cluster running.

I wasn't aware that VG's not mentioned had the setting cleared but this is logical.

Regards,
John
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi Melvyn, just to confim: if the VG is not listed in the CLUSTER config file, it do not get the cluster flag, and you must issue it by hand.

HTH,
Massimo

G. Vrijhoeven
Honored Contributor

Hi Melvyn,John and Massimo

The volume group was not listed in the cluster ascii file.

But the packages were running, so the volume groups were cluster aware and the volume groups were active. The vgchange -c y command can not be issued on an active volumegroup ( by command line, may be cmcld can).

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

That's right you can't run vgchange -c y on a vg that is actively running.

BUT...you can add packages to a cluster and start them up. Sounds a bit confusing, but you can do this. That's how you seem to be running. I do this when I have to get a package going while things are up. You must however, remember to go back and take things down and do the 'rest of the job'.

My point is this - your cluster ascii file has to have all the vg listed in it (and be cmapplyconf'd) for your cluster to be 'completely aware' of all that is in it. As folks have mentioned already. That is how it controls the release and activation of the vg's. All too often we think the package control script is the one that controls everything on the vg's. But that cluster ascii file does it's part here too.

So you should be able to move things around and vgchange -a n then vgchange -c y manually to test your pkg. But to have the 'Cluster' handle it you will need to add the vg's to the cluster ascii and do your cmapplyconf (with the cluster down !).

HTH,
Rita

Hoefnix
Honored Contributor

Gideon,

Elmar and I did some testing on a test-cluster.
Indead after adding the VG in the cmclconf.ascii and apply this one the VG's are updated automtically after a cluster config change.

By the way, adding volumegroups to the cluster ascii file CAN be done while the cluster is running.(with the apply).(so we need to update workinstructions)

This seems not very well documented, because also the ServiceGuard course material is not talking about that you need to add the VG in the cluster ascii.(in the part that tells how to add a VG to a package)

I think this clear's it up.

Peter