7204 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Bonding two bond interfaces

Brem Belguebli
Regular Advisor

Bonding two bond interfaces

Hi,

Has anyone already tried to build a bond (mode 0) of 2 bonds (mode 4) interfaces.

My need is to have a 2 * 1 Gbs bond interface (mode 4) which could switch to the other 2 * 1 Gbs interface in case one of the links of the first interface came to fail or if the switch connected to came to fail.

I need to guarantee a 2Gbs live bandwitdh.

Topology :

bond2
|
----------
/ mode=0 \
/ \
bond0 bond1
| | mode=4 | | mode=4
eth0 eth1 eth2 eth4
| | PAGP | | PAGP
switch 1 switch 2

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Bonding two bond interfaces

you can't bond bonds. You could add all four interfaces to a single bond.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Brem Belguebli
Regular Advisor

Hi,

It won't work in my configuration as each couple of cards (bond0 and bond1) is connected to a dedicated CISCO switch and there is etherchanneling (or trunking for non-CISCO) activated (bond mode 4).
You cannot bond (mode 4) when connected to different switches.

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

It may not work in your configuration, but it can be done.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Brem Belguebli
Regular Advisor

I do not doubt it would, but we needto address two points:

1- Provide live 2 Gbs bandwidth
2- being connected to 2 different switches in case one fails.

The question is : Is it possible to mix both mode 0 and mode 4 in the same bonding interface ?

I'm not sure it is possible.

Regards
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

it's not possible.