New Discussion юеВ

Cluster Active - Passive in ORACLE 10g R2 Enterprise w/ServiceGuard

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Cluster Active - Passive in ORACLE 10g R2 Enterprise w/ServiceGuard

Hi,

Is possible to make a cluster Active - Passive for ORACLE 10g R2 only with ServiceGuard or I need something more???...

Greetings,
17 REPLIES 17
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Re: Cluster Active - Passive in ORACLE 10g R2 Enterprise w/ServiceGuard

Oracle can work as a failover package in a serviceguard configuration.

HP Has a enterprise cluster master toolkit that has a sample script for oracle packaging and monitoring.

SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It depends on which kinda cluster you want.
For an activ active cluster, you should implement Oracle RAC with help of SGeRAC over SG.

with only service guard , you may configure fail over package (active passive).
This will be normal process like shuting down the package on one node then starting it on other one.

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Emil / Sooraj,

I don't need an active - active cluster, I need a failover cluster; in this case only need a SeviceGuard, is correct???...

I install a HP-UX 11i v3, what is the best version of ServiceGuard that I need install for ORACLE 10g R2.

Greetings,
Christhian.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

>I install a HP-UX 11i v3, what is the best version of ServiceGuard that I need install for ORACLE 10g R2.

The latest SG version is 11.20, this is the recommended version to install to date.

Regards,
Viktor
Unix operates with beer.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Viktor,

Thanks your four answer, do you have any manual for configuring SG for ORACLE???...

Greetings,
CCH
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Is your OE Mission Critical? You will ned a Mission Critical License to have ServiceGuard.

OR, you can just employ Poor Man's cluster by writing the scripts needed to quickly failover your Oracle Environment to another server.
Hakuna Matata.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

>do you have any manual for configuring SG for ORACLE???

obtain the "Serviceguard Enterprise Cluster Master Toolkit", it is a set of scripts helping to create HA-packages. There are some dedicated stuffs for Oracle:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/os/hpux11i-serviceguard-toolkits-ecmt.html

here is a doc for setting it up, I hope the BSC link works:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=4162103&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport2.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc02496200%2Fc02496200.pdf

>You will ned a Mission Critical License to have ServiceGuard.

AFAIK Serviceguard can also be licensed separately if you don't have the MCOE, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Unix operates with beer.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

oww. the link to the doc was screwed, here's a new one:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodClassId=10008&contentType=SupportManual&docIndexId=64255&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=4162103

...and look for the

"Using the Oracle Toolkit in a HP Serviceguard Cluster README Revision: B.06.00, August 2010"

Unix operates with beer.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Alzhy,

Yes is a HP-UX 11i v3 High Availability OE,the idea is use a ServiceGuard for make a failover (Cluster Active - Passive) of Oracle 10g R2.

Hi Viktor,

Thanks for the information, I review the PDF "Using the Oracle Toolkit in a HP Serviceguard Cluster" and for now I have a one question, Whats is the better use a LVM or ASM for the Oracle Database???.

Greetings,
Christhian