108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cluster Active - Passive in ORACLE 10g R2 Enterprise w/ServiceGuard

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If the toolkit now includes ASM in the configuration -- I'd prefer that - that is IF your DBAs are comfortable with it.

Otherwise, Cooked Oracle Storage LVM with 11.31's new DirectIO should be just as kool.

Why I suggested Poor Man' Cluster? Because it simply works, costs NIL and pretty much does what SG can do -- That is if you have good scriptwriters on board.
Hakuna Matata.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Alzhy,

Thanks for your help, in this case I use a ASM because is the recomendation for DBA.

I need use ServiceGuard because this is a migration of the infraestructure, actually the client have a Sysbase with a ServiceGuard in a Cluster Active - Passive.

Greetings,
CCH
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

>Whats is the better use a LVM or ASM for the Oracle Database???

I would stick to the good'ol LVM, because ASM is not very known to me. Note that in an ASM filesystem you can't store anything. These two arguments are enough for me to go the LVM way.

In a system with ASM, the followings are

supported:

* Database files
* Control files
* Online redo log files
* Archived redo log files
* Flash recovery area files
* RMAN files (image copy and backup)

NOT supported:

* Installation files (in ORACLE_HOME, CRS_HOME)
* ORACLE_BASE files( including alert log, trace files, etc)
* CRS voting disk and OCR files
* Output data from UTL_FILE
* Any user or application specific files(e.g. XML or Java files)
* Oracle 9i external table files

Unix operates with beer.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Viktor,

Thanks for the recommendations, I talk with the DBA and review the 2 option: use a LVM or DBA but I don't have any problem with Serviceguard with the two options, it's correct???...

Greetings,
Christhian.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

>but I don't have any problem with Serviceguard with the two options, it's correct???...

No, both way is doable, the documentation is the proof of it. I just prefer LVM because I wouldn't assign volume manager tasks to a DBA. Ask your DBAs if they are familiar with ASM.
Unix operates with beer.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Viktor,

Thanks for your replies, I talk with the DBA about the ASM, and if he know about that, the best way is use ASM with the Serviceguard or not???...

Greetings,
Christhian Chamba
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

It depends HOW ASM is set up. If ASM is setup to use RAW LVM volumes (which is IDIOTIC imho), then the same facilities to failover LVM can be employed. Otherwise - IF the DB is on cXtYdz or diskNN or better yet (smartly named user defined names) -- then there IS nothing to be done by ServiceGuard as Storage Management is TOTALLY DONE by the package (the ASM Engine) --to seek out all the members. The important thing is to simply ensure the disk members are presented to the nodes -- and recognisable vy ASM_DISKSRTING.

Hakuna Matata.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Alzhy,

Thanks for your reply, I think that I need talk with the DBA because if he know about ASM only need configure the Serviceguard and the Storage Management is reponsability of the DBA.

What do you thing???...

Greetings,
Christhian Chamba