1751920 Members
4932 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cluster nodes on different subnet

Rob CUYNEN
Occasional Advisor

Cluster nodes on different subnet

As part of our networking reorganization to layer 3 switching we're thinnking about migrating to the following configuration:

Two L2000 - Hp-UX - dual-homed FC NIC's - Serviceguard.

One L2000 will be connected to two catalyst 6509 switches, with each port on a different subnet.
The other L2000 will be connected to two other Cisco catalyst 6509 switches, also with each port on a different subnet.
So in effect we would have a two-node cluster with four different subnets.
Should we expect any problems with this configuration or should we pay special attention to some configuration issues.

We currently have the same servers in cluster as single-homed on the same subnet. This works ok.
Any advice would be welcome.
3 REPLIES 3
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Re: Cluster nodes on different subnet

Make sure the routing information and gateway configurations are properly done.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Sandor Horvath_2
Valued Contributor

Hi !

MC/Service guard does not support to use nodes on different subnet.
Packages has own IP address this is the cause.

Saa
If no problem, don't fixed it.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

It is not entirely clear from your posting, but I assume you will have both nodes connected to each other where each network connection is the same subnet, e.g. hostA/lan0 and hostB/lan0 are on the same subnet, then hostA/lan1 and hostB/lan1 on same subnet?
If this is not the case, then this will not work, i.e.
hostA/lan0 subnet1
hostA/lan1 subnet2
hostB/lan0 subnet3
hostB/lan1 subnet4

Without a network map/diagram, this is a little difficult to interpret.
Essentialy you can have multiple subnets in a cluster, but each node must be able to connect top any othetr node in the cluster on the same subnet.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!