6037 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPSG upgradation from 11.16.01 to 11.16.07

Sagar Sarker
Occasional Contributor

HPSG upgradation from 11.16.01 to 11.16.07

Hi,

I have a cluster configured with two nodes and an MSA1000 storage. It works fine except the switch redundancy issue. When both the nodes are connected to the LAN, the network got stuck. As advised by the SI, I am going to upgrade the HPSG from 11.16.01 to 11.16.07.

For that I will copy all the cluster configuration files and .rhosts file along with their permission status. after upgrading the HPSG rpm I will restore the files copied earlier. Correct me if I am wrong with the procedure.

Shall I need to compile the binary files again after upgrading the HPSG? As per my understanding it isn't necessary, cause i'm restoring the configuration files as they were earlier.

Please help me on this issue. Your earliest response is admirable.

Sagar
4 REPLIES 4
John Bigg
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HPSG upgradation from 11.16.01 to 11.16.07

11.16.07 is just a patch so you should follow the patch installation instructions. The procedure you specify is incorrect. Simply untar the patch file, cd into the tools directory and run sgupdate.

Not need to backup/restore files and no need to compile the binary again. Although as always, it is good to do a backup before this kind of procedure just in case.
Sagar Sarker
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,

thanks for your response on this issue. Sorry I didn't mention the OS platform earlier. Let me give you a more clear idea on what i'm going to do.

1. I will upgrade the OS from RHEL 3 update 3 to RHEL 3 update 8.
2. HPSG from 11.16.01 to 11.16.07.

I dont have the CD for HPSG, what I have is the HPSG rpms only, not as patch file. So your procedure will not work in this case.

Waiting for your next suggestion.

Sagar
John Bigg
Esteemed Contributor

If you are doing an upgrade I would imagine the $SGCONF files will be untouched so you probably would not need to backup/restore but certainly there is no problem with this (or if you are actually doing a re-install).

Given the OS upgrade and the fact that you only have rpms the procedure you specify should be ok. You should still not need to upgrade the binary files but in view of the major upgrade you are going through I'd suggest at a minimum your do a cmcheckconf although personally I would do a cmapplyconf just to make sure it goes through without error. Better to find out now than when you really need to make a config change.

I suggest you read the section entitled, "Rolling Software Upgrades" in the 11.16 release notes for more detailed information on this procedure. Even if you are taking the entire cluster down and are not doing a rolling upgrade it will probably contain useful information for you given what you now say.
Sagar Sarker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks John. Actually I went through the HPSG 11.16 release note and made an action plan on what I'm going to implement. Please give some of your valuable time on the action plan let me know your expert opinion. Don't hesitate if you find anything wrong in the doc.