Operating System - HP-UX
1753481 Members
4430 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I see if ServiceGuard is running on a server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
RickRandallColorado

How can I see if ServiceGuard is running on a server?

I am an Oracle database admin doing Oracle upgrades on some HP-UX servers. I want to be sure Service Guard is not running before taking databases down. I don't have authority to run SAM. I'd like to just run "ps -ef | grep cmcld" and if I see no cmcld process running, call it good. Does that work? Is there a page in Service Guard doco that addresses this?

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02437444/c02437444.pdf
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Try running "/usr/sbin/cmviewcl". It's the command that reports Serviceguard status. It only requires that you have Monitor-level Serviceguard access (i.e. query-only).

See pages 321-335 of the document you linked.

MK
MK
Solution

Rick,

If there is no cmcld daemon running then you can be sure that Serviceguard isn't running, but don't let anyone go trying to terminate the cmcld deamon - you won't like what happens (hard reboot within 30 seconds!)

That will tell you whether Serviceguard is running, but of course won't tell you whether Serviceguard is installed and configured on the box (so your database could be configured in Serviceguard, but someone could have shutdown Serviceguard and then manually mounted filesystems in the meantime)

Also it's worth noting that if your clusters have been built with a resonably recent version of Serviceguard and the Enterprise Cluster Master Toolkit for Oracle, you can stop/start Oracle databases without stopping Serviceguard by creating a "debug flag file" in the Oracle packages directory - usually "/etc/cmcluster//oracle.debug"

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
RickRandallColorado

Thanks! That's all I needed for this work I'm doing. The ps -ef approach to just see if cmcld is running will suffice, and it is all I can do with my current permissions