1753532 Members
5849 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to implement serviceguard between two vmguests which are in a single node

john jacob

How to implement serviceguard between two vmguests which are in a single node

Hai to all,

Can anyone help me to do a test cluster environment in which the nodes will be two vmguests in a single node.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Kapil Jha
Honored Contributor

Re: How to implement serviceguard between two vmguests which are in a single node

Yes its possible but not recommended, it would just be normal cluster installation install cluster software on both the virtual machines and setup cluster.
You dont have to worry anything about being it virtual.

The only thing you need to care about is the network setup.
And you would have to change the SHARE attribute of the shared disk to YES using
the hpvmdevmgmt command.

You need to read HPVM manual for more inforamtion, or just start doing it and you can post problems here. in the forum.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Re: How to implement serviceguard between two vmguests which are in a single node

1. install serviceguard on each of the vmguest OSs.

2. create one or more shared disks (file or lv or lun) using hpvmdevmgmt and hpvmmodify with the shared attribute

3. Create a cluster using a lock disk or if you have 3 nodes the same way a normal cluster and packages are created.

This does not provide high availability but this "Cluster in a box" can be used as a good test environment for package scripts and applications.

Vms themselves can be serviceguard packages if the VM hosts are in a cluster.

Mike Chisholm
Advisor

I assume you are already somewhat familiar with Serviceguard itself. Besides reading the HPVM manual, which is good advice, you should also take a look at this whitepaper:
Designing high-availability solutions with HP
Serviceguard and HP Integrity Virtual Machines
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02015679/c02015679.pdf
Bhadresh
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Have a look at chapter 11 e "Using HP ServiceGuard with Integrity VM" from the Integrity VM manual:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02023903/c02023903.pdf

Regards,
Bhadresh
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

"between two vmguests which are in a single node "

==> For learning , Go ahead.
==> For production ==> bad idea

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Foolqiu
Frequent Advisor

I am reading C11 of manual--HP Integrity Virtual Machines Version 4.1 Installation, Configuration, and Administration_T2767-90180.pdf.

Keep in touch!

Fool