Did you mean: 

MC/Service Guard and ESS 2105

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Doug Anthony
Occasional Visitor

MC/Service Guard and ESS 2105

Is anyone using the IBM ESS 2105 storage array with a MC/Service Guard Cluster? If so, any issues? Also, are you using the SDD driver for the ESS 2105 in the MC/Service Guard cluster.

Thanks,

Doug
5 REPLIES 5
John Poff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MC/Service Guard and ESS 2105

Hi Doug,

We have a cluster here where the disk storage is an IBM Shark (ESS). If you are going to use an ESS in an MC/ServiceGuard cluster, you won't be able to use the SDD drivers because those drivers group the PVs and present them to HP-UX as vpath## devices and MC/ServiceGuard absolutely doesn't like that. Been there, tried it, won't work. Which means that you'll have to try to balance out your data paths by alternating controllers when you layout your volume groups, which kind of turns it into just a great big JBOD.

JP
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

I believe these arrays do work, but are not supported in an MC/ServiceGuard Cluster.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Justin Willoughby
Regular Advisor

Doug,

We also are planning to do this with two L3000's in an MC/SG configuration. We currently have our K570 attached to our ESS, even on this box we are not using the IBM SDD driver, just PV Links.

- Justin
Zbigniew Klos
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I successfully implemented MC/SG cluster using IBM ESS array (do not remember its model) and two K370 servers a year ago. Works fine but I did not use SDD, not event tried to.

Regards,
Zbigniew Klos
hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

To answer your question:
I had been testing on ESS storage against Mc/SG cluster version 0s 11i on K . L and N class.
It depends on the level of code that you are on for your problems. If you need any further assistance on this on how to set it up and run it, let me know where i can help you with. HP/uX comes with PV link as multipathing, you can use it as a tool to exist you. SDD uses vpath, so when you import the vg to the secondary note, you need to change it from vpath to hdisk. Otherwise, it works fine.
hp2vp or vp2hd ....
That is only different...
like i said let me know if you have any more questions.