Operating System - HP-UX
1751780 Members
4329 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple database (Oracle) instances in one (MCSG) package?

SOLVED
Go to solution
aaaA_4
Regular Advisor

Multiple database (Oracle) instances in one (MCSG) package?

We have some related Oracle instances and I'm thinking about having them in one MCSG package to increase manageability by decreasing the number of packages (30 packages is quite enough for me). We do not use any toolkit, but he have own scripts instead. What do you think about this idea?

Your opinion will be appreciated.
N.
4 REPLIES 4
Ninad_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Points to note
You will not able to balance the load across the cluster nodes once you have clubbed all the oracle databases into single package.
Yes it is possible - by defining the different instances as different services in the packages.
It totally depends on you - but personally I feel you should create different packages for the different databases and probably it would be more managable than having into single package when it comes to problem/error solving and you can bring up/down the instances individually.

Regards,
Ninad
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

We've put multiple Oracle instances into a single MC/SG package before. It makes sense when you need several instances to run successfully for one application. We didn't use the toolkit either, as we liked using our own scripts.

JP
Chan 007
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I prefer 2 DB in one package, even though we can have many. Also if you need to make a maintenance to your package you need to shutdown all instances.

Also if you have a package monitor, and one oracle instance fails, then it tends to fail all. Better have more packages to play. If your Organisations SLA provides flexibility why not have more.

Also Scripts are good when you do a On call from home, you can by pass the tool. Tools are good for beginners and some times handy for us.

Cheers

Chan
Gary L. Paveza, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

We started off having everything in one package (currently have 96 in one package for development and 20 in our production package), but are now breaking them out by application. I believe we will be going with 6 packages for each. Having too many databases in one package can delay the startup / failover. You might be better off either grouping them by applications or by importance.