Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Listener in SG Package

Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Oracle Listener in SG Package

Hello-

I am looking to re-configure the start the Oracle listener by setting up a password.

I am currently utilizing the ORACLE.sh from the Enterprise Cluster Master Toolkit, and wanted to know if manually halting the listener to reconfigure it would cause any issues.

I know that the listener is not actually a monitored 'service' in any application package, so I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be affecting the state of any package.

Mike E.
Knowledge Is Power
6 REPLIES 6
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle Listener in SG Package

If the listener is not monitored then there should be problem to restart it.

Best regards...
Dietmar.
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Michael Elleby III_1
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Dietmar, I would've given you an eight, but I took a point for the typo...

Mike-
Knowledge Is Power
Dietmar Konermann
Honored Contributor

Oops. :-)
"Logic is the beginning of wisdom; not the end." -- Spock (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country)
Robert Thorneycroft
Valued Contributor

You can stop the listener, however during the period that the listener is not available no NEW connections will be possible to your instance however all of the existing connections will continue on without the slightest issue.

Kind regards,

Robert Thorneycroft
Steve Lamont_1
Occasional Advisor

the listener does not always have to be stopped use

lsnrctl restart listener_name

this will reload the listener.ora file after any changes made to it.

:-)
Robert Thorneycroft
Valued Contributor

I did not state that you do have to stop the listener to restart it, I was just saying what the consequences of not having your listener running are.