New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle and Application Package

SOLVED
Go to solution
James M. Dunn
Frequent Advisor

Oracle and Application Package

All,

We'd like to use Service Guard to manage 2 applications and 1 Oracle Database in am Active/Standby configuration

My question is.... What is the best method? Is it possible to Service Guard the Oracle database into a package using Oracle Data Guard and also package the associated applications.

The most downtime we can have is 15 minutes.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/DataGuardOverview.html

Rac is out of the ? to many $.

jim
4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor
Solution

Why use Oracke DataGuard?
Just package Oracle up as it's own package, using the Oracle Toolkit, and have the pacage move between hosts.
You can then either package the other apps separately or in the same package
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
David Bellamy
Respected Contributor

Jim you can put everything into one package and have the package move between system. attached is a example of how to do this.
James M. Dunn
Frequent Advisor

Melvyn,

The reason why I ask is because our DBA wishes to use Data Guard in the event that Oracle Data becomes corrupt (it appears to be like a BCV). I was curious if anyone had implemented SG cluster using the Standby database.

As for the Oracle tool kit, correct me if I'm wrong but it's not software it's scripts that "provide functions for starting, stopping and monitoring the database services in a cluster environment".

David,

The script you posted is used to do the above in double quotes, is this correct?

If you have anymore scripts to look at I would greatly appreciate it.

Thankyou for the goods..

Jim
Steve Blackburn_3
Occasional Advisor

Jim,

The Oracle toolkit is scripts that need to be modified to match your environment. I use them within a MCSG package and I use Oracle Dataguard to synchronize an additional MCSG package at a DR site. So we have 2 clusters in 2 different locations using dataguard to kept the disks sync'd... I'd suggest using something more like SRDF if possible, but the disk sub systems between sites are different, HP Storageworks in site A and EMC DMX in site B.

Oracle's dataguard works well in the arrangement. Only issues is the failback takes a while due to full syncs to get back to syncing logs only. The toolkit was almost completely rewritten on the standy instance.