4207 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle performance issues with large files on VxFS

Mike Brown_3
Frequent Advisor

Oracle performance issues with large files on VxFS

A very specific question here.
I have a system running 11.0 with VxFS (soon to have OnlineJFS but not yet), and runs Oracle 9i.
The issue is with the size of my datafiles - would my system perform better with 4 x 2Gb datafiles, or with the same data all contained in 1 x 8Gb datafile? Please assume OnlineJFS as it will be installed soon.
My hunch is towards the 4 x 2 solution, (I/O distribution and all that), but not quite sure what the impact would be in an Oracle-specific situation.

Any valuable pointers would be appreciated, especially references to any useful links. TIA.
There's no substitute for experience
4 REPLIES 4
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mike,

I think that is better 4x2GB, one reason is for on-line backup, if you must to use it.

Regards,

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Mike Brown_3
Frequent Advisor

No worries - think I've found what I need in http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x09575c7609e9d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html

Cheers.

(quite how this post ended up filed under "service guard" is beyond me)
There's no substitute for experience
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Yes, having large files >2Gb shouldnt be a problem, we run all our oracle db files into the several Gb without any problems.

Theres lots of other things to consider for oracle filesystem performance, check this out;

http://www.dutchworks.nl/htbin/hpsysadmin?h=3&dn=63220&q=oracle%20performance%20large%20files&fh
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Christian Gebhardt
Honored Contributor

Hi
you can find some statements in the oracle documentation --> Oracle9i Server --> Oracle9i Database Performance Guide and Reference --> I/O Configuration and Design

Summary: Use many disks, the filesize doesn't matter

Chris