New Discussion

Reg package IP

SOLVED
Go to solution
zxcv
Super Advisor

Reg package IP

Hi ,

I had an package for which there was an 10.1.4.1 IP  , i changed the IP package.cntl IP when the package was up and tried to halt the IP it gave me an error saying that it failed , i checked the logs and found that IP was different so i reverted and then again fired cmhaltpkg but it says that the package is already halted.

I checked it with bdf it was halted but now my concern is that the old IP is still pingable , i do not want it to be pingable as i have switched over to new IP ( 10.1.4.2 ).

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Reg package IP

"Package halt failed", or more accurately, "something caused an error in the package halt procedure". Serviceguard requires the package halt procedure to be error-free, or else it won't restart the package automatically. Serviceguard lacks the intelligence required to determine if a particular error is harmful to package failover or not, so it will assume that all errors are harmful, to be safe.

The cause of the error is obvious: since you changed the package IP in the control file while the package was running, the package halt procedure attempted to shutdown the new package IP (which was not active yet) instead of the old one (which was still active). A failure to shutdown the configured package IP is an error.

As a result, the old package IP was left active while the rest of the package was halted.

To clean up this mess, you need to manually shutdown the old package IP. It is configured as an IP alias (also known as a "secondary interface" in "man ifconfig"). By your other thread I see the package IP interface was designated as lan0:2, so run "ifconfig lan0:2 0.0.0.0" to shut it down. This should also automatically remove the route entry associated with it.

MK
zxcv
Super Advisor

Re: Reg package IP

Thanks Matti