cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating away from /usr/local

David M Ford
Occasional Contributor

Relocating away from /usr/local

I am working on a new installation of Serviceguard 11.18.05 on RHEL5.2 x86_64. My customer does special things with /usr/local, so I need to relocate /usr/local/cmcluster to /opt/cmcluster (as is done in SLES). I have torn down the binary rmps and rebuilt them, altering file locations and script with the new directory. However, I'm getting unresolved symbols so far when running binaries.

I might yet find a solution to this, but thinking I may need to rebuild from src rpms. Might I be able to obtain these, or any ideas solving the ld problems?

Strangely, I think it is with sgcmomd that I see an unresolved symbol that is in fact within sgcmomd (shown with nm). Sorry, don't have the errors within reach at the moment.

By the way, this relocation was also done for an older cluster at this customer site by someone in XC or HPC engineering, but I believe she is long gone.

2 REPLIES
John Bigg
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Relocating away from /usr/local

Firstly, what you are doing is completely unsupported. There could well be some redhat specific code which requires things to be in /usr/local.

You will not be able to get source rpms to re-build things but I am not sure that this is your problem anyway. It is possible that your problem is that you have not updated /etc/ld.so.conf to contain /opt/cmom/lib and
/opt/cmcluster/lib instead of /usr/local versions. You will also need to run ldconfig afterwards to update the cache. Check with ldconfig -p after doing this.

I suspect this will fix some things for you, but who knows if you will get bitten by a problem where something referecnes /usr/local which you only discover during a critical failover or similar. Therefore I cannot recommend you use a configuration like this.
David M Ford
Occasional Contributor

Re: Relocating away from /usr/local

Solutions found locally. Corrected conversion procedures. 11.18.05 in good shape in /opt on RHEL5.2 x86_64.