1752808 Members
5552 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restarts

Rod Wesselman
Occasional Contributor

Restarts

I have recently installed ServiceGuard OPS r=A.11.09.
If I configure the package with SERVICE_CMD = a command that starts the application, the SERVICE_RESTARTS work like I would expect.

In class it was suggested that a monitor script be
used for the SERVICE_CMD and the application startup
be done in the customer defined run commands. When I configure in this fashion, I can see that restarts were attempted in the log, but it looks like the customer defined run commands were not executed on restart.

I have search docs.hp.com/ha and have yet to find a answer to this problem/feature.

Thanks for listening.
2 REPLIES 2
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Hi,

There might be an error the script that starts up the processes. Maybe you tested it using a different PATH, a slightly modified environment, ...

I'd try to put a 'set -x' and a 'set -v' in the script and check the output. It should be in the MC/SG log scripts for that package. Check that output for errors, especially the part starting the processes.

Don' forget to remove the set -x and set -v after you solved the problem to avoid filling up the logfiles too quickly.

Bye,
Rik
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

The manner in which HP recommends complex application startups in a package is to launch the application from the customer_defined_run_cmds section of the script, and then launch yet another script (re-entry the startup script with a "monitor" option) to do the monitoring. This technique is employed in the HP toolkit for Oracle databases for instance.

The trouble comes, as you noted in the restarts area, where when a service fails, the restart is not performed by the standard package control script because the SERVICE_CMD would only launch yet another iteration of the monitor script, and not the start-up processes.

Perhaps it is necessary to have the monitor script handle the restart issue, and not configure it in standard package control script SERVICE_RESTARTS variable.