Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ServiceGuard Package Addition

Ahmad__
Occasional Collector

ServiceGuard Package Addition

Greetings

we are planing to add package "xyz_pkg" in current 2xnode cluster active/passive which currently run with one package "abc_pkg".

O/S: HP-UX 11.31 IA-64

HP SG: A.20

I have few discussion points and realted queries-

. As per my understanding vgs related to package "abc_pkg" should be mentioned in cluster configuration but i can see only vglock (lock disk) in cluster conf and "abc_pkg" switchover/switchback just run fine.

- what could be possible negetive impact or is it just fine not to mention package vgs in cluster conf

. do we need to halt the cluster to run cmcheckconf and cmapplyconf for "xyz_pkg" (new package addition)

Thanks

Ahmad

3 REPLIES 3
Ahmad__
Occasional Collector

Re: ServiceGuard Package Addition

when it was itrc the response was almost real time from peer professionals what happend now?

Regards,

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

There are definitely not as many people participating since the conversion from the old ITRC Forums to what we have now.

To answer your package question -- No you do not to shut down Service Guard in order to add a package.  That can be done while SG is up and running.

Highlighted
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Please note that any ASCII cluster and package configuration files may be out of date: when you use the cmapplyconf command to apply any cluster or package configuration changes, the changes get updated to the binary configuration file of Serviceguard (/etc/cmcluster/cmclconfig) using an appropriate scheme to ensure that all cluster nodes get the configuration changes in a synchronized manner.

For example, when you create a cluster, you create a cluster configuration file with no package VGs listed (since at the point of cluster creation, there are no packages yet). When you apply a package configuration for abc_pkg, the cluster LVM volume group is updated in binary /etc/cmcluster/cmclconfig, but not in the ASCII cluster configuration file.

When planning for Serviceguard configuration changes, always use the cmgetconf command to get up-to-date versions of the ASCII configuration files first.

For example, I would expect that if you now run "cmgetconf -v /tmp/cluster.conf.new" in your cluster, the resulting /tmp/cluster.conf.new file will include the package VG information for your abc_pkg.

MK