New Discussion

Re: ServiceGuard Redhat 4 and VMware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Goehring Volker
Occasional Contributor

ServiceGuard Redhat 4 and VMware

Hello,

I can't find a support matrix, about the possibilities to perform an SG Cluster in a VMware environment.
Is this possible ?

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
John Bigg
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

It is possible, but unsupported. I have seen a multinode cluster running (slowly) on a laptop as a demo like this, but as I said it is totally unsupported.
Goehring Volker
Occasional Contributor

Thank you,

I presumed this answer.

Volker
Goehring Volker
Occasional Contributor

see in the thread, please
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

Out of curiosity, are you most interested in (1) running Serviceguard in the virtual machines and failing over applications that way or (2) using Serviceguard to fail over virtual machines from one server to another?

If #1 do you want to do that in a single server, most useful for development and test, or with the virtual machines in different servers.

I'll take comments from anyone. No promises but useful for development to think about.
Juan Miranda

Hi
I am trying to install ServiceGuard over vmware.
I am new to sg and I am having some problems so I´ll thanks some guide to do it.
I need it for educational purposes.
thanks.
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

If you are trying to set up a cluster on one server with VMware for training purposes, this is possible. As John said, it is not supported so you cannot make any support calls assocaited with this. What you need to know is the following

1. do not use the workstation version. Use "Server" (which is available for free, or a higher version.

2. If you want to set up shared storage for a package, that is possible but a little difficult.

Following is an extract from a powerpoint file where I show how to do this. I'd suggest reading this over a few time and doing some "googling" to find more writeups:

VMware Shared storage - start
â ¢ Setting up shared storage is not well defined for VMware, especially as it relates to setting up storage for Serviceguard.
â ¢ Each virtual server has a â definitionâ file. Each virtual server has a sub-directory in the â Virtual Serversâ directory (assuming that defaults are selected). Each directory is named the same as the server. Within that directory is a file, again with the name as a base, with a â .vmxâ extension. First, make sure the virtual servers are powered off. Before adding any extra disks add the following lines to the server â .vmxâ files. Watch for typos, especially on the last line since it is slightly different.
â scsi1.present = "TRUE"
scsi1.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi1.sharedBus = "virtual"
disk.locking = "FALSE"
â ¢ Note the â lsilogicâ assumes that scsi0 is also â lsilogicâ
VMware Shared storage â Node1
â ¢ Edit virtual machine Node1
â Add
â Hard disk
â Create new virtual disk
â ¢ SCSI
â ¢ Size
â ¢ When it asked for disk file I suggest the following:
Use a different directory than the servers (I suggest at the â serverâ level). Use the â .vmdkâ extension. For example: shares/share1.vmdk
â ¢ Before selecting Finished â select Advanced (this is important)
â Select a SCSI address with scsi1:x (recommend 1 for first package, etc).
â Select â independentâ (persistent will be selected by default)
â Select â Finishedâ - A disk will now be created.
VMware Shared storage â Node2
â ¢ Edit the â .vmxâ file and you will find â independent-persistentâ listed for the new disk. Make this be â persistentâ .
â Each disk should have the following entries:
scsi1:x.present = â trueâ
scsi1:x.filename = â this will be the pathâ
scsi1:x.mode = â persistentâ â
scsi1:x.deviceType = â plainDiskâ
â ¢ For the second machine do the same except select the â use an existing diskâ . Everything else is the same. Make sure you select the same SCSI identifier for the disk, e.g. 1:1