108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Serviceguard configuration with Windows 2003 management server

SOLVED
Go to solution
tonyG_2
Advisor

Serviceguard configuration with Windows 2003 management server

Currently I have an DL380 Win2003 server managing my SAN via Command view eva. It is possible to setup Serviceguard with Windows server being the management server? If so any doc links would be appreciated.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

management server? Could you explain a little more what you are after?
Do you mean running Serviceguard Manager on it?
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
tonyG_2
Advisor

My 2003 Windows server is the server that manages CV EVA. I thought is was referred to as the management server.

On the SAN I have my HP-UX disks. I have CA to a remote SAN with an identical configuration. I stumbled across clustering and would like to implement it. From my research so far, it look like a portion must be done on the HP-UX servers. My concern is that the HP-UX servers are not the managers for CV EVA so I am unsure whether that would interfere with the clustering setup.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Serviceguard does not need a Management Server, all the work is done on the Serviceguard nodes, or via SGMGR from the SMH on a node in the cluster.
The ONLY reason you woul dneed the WMS for your SAN is if you were to implement MetroCluster using CA/EVA, and that is so that the Serviceguard toolkits can interrogate/control your DR sets on the EVAs
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
tonyG_2
Advisor

This:

"The ONLY reason you woul dneed the WMS for your SAN is if you were to implement MetroCluster using CA/EVA, and that is so that the Serviceguard toolkits can interrogate/control your DR sets on the EVAs"

Is what I was getting at. So it is not possible to setup MetroCluster if Windows is the MS?
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

No, if you want to create a MetroCluster, using EVA arays, you MUST use WMS (minimum one per site, preferred 2 per site) so that Serviceguard Toolkits can contact the WMS, and use them to interrogate/control your DR pairs on the EVA arrays.
In other words, when you configure a MetroCluster package, you need to be able to find out the state of the EVA DR set used by that package, and if needed do a "failover" to start the package on what was the Destination vDisk, using the failover process to now make it the Source vDisk.
tonyG_2
Advisor

WMS = Windows Management Server?
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

correct, the Windows Management Server (WMS) connected to your EVA arrays.
Take a look at:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02464583/c02464583.pdf
take a look at Chapter 4, more specifically page 205
tonyG_2
Advisor

Ok that is good since I have WMS at both locations. I guess my next step is to install serviceguard on the HP-UX servers?

So can you provide a link to some documentation on where to go from here?
tonyG_2
Advisor

Thanks melvyn. I wanted to verify that our setup met the standards for metro and you helped greatly. That PDF was the initial one I was referencing.

One more quick question since the whole concept is new to me. I should be able to setup a small test environment using this solution without affecting production i.e. New small vdisk, vg, and dr group?

Thanks