1752647 Members
5784 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Two DCE Packages?

Justin Willoughby
Regular Advisor

Two DCE Packages?

Can I have two DCE packages setup under SG?

I want one to run on one box and one on the other but want them to be able to fail-over. Is this possible? The document I am reading is does not seem to talk about this. Anyone done this before?

- Justin
2 REPLIES 2
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Re: Two DCE Packages?

Hi Justin,

Here's a fairly comprehensive doc that discusses DCE & MC/SG integration.

http://www.docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/onlinedocs.py?mpn=B3190-90073&service=hpux&path=../B3190-90073/00/00/1&title=Planning%20and%20Configuring%20HP%20DCE%201.7

Get into the Configuring HP DCE Cells chapter & go down to the Intergrating DCE Services with MC/ServiceGuard section. Has a good article on implementation alternatives.
The way I read it is that normally DCE uses a master/slave scenario, but you can setup MC/SG to do full blown server failover or setup a scenario whereby a slave can be "promoted" to master.
Definitely worth a read in your case.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Rui Vilao
Regular Advisor

Re: Two DCE Packages?

Hi Justin,

I have implemented the basic configuration described in the doc indicated by Jeff.
It works pretty well. I have set-up this config with two DCE packages. But you will need a third host not running DCE (it can run an Oracle database...)
This is because the failover will include the DCE binaries and config and the alternate host cannot have these files already...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Rui.
"We should never stop learning"_________ rui.vilao@rocketmail.com