5106 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unwritable NFS mount when locally mounted

Martien Korenblom
Frequent Advisor

Unwritable NFS mount when locally mounted

My situation:
4x BL870c with 11.31, Serviceguard and NFS Toolkit installed.

I have the following problem:
- I shared a local directory (/local/dba), which is in a SG package. NFS Toolkit is setup with share-options 'rw' and 'root' to all server in the cluster
- Servers which are remote to the share (on a different server) can read and write on the share
- If the share is mounted locally (on the same server), I can read but cannot write to the share.
- As a non-root user, I cannot write to the share remotely

I tested all of the above both as root-user and as a normal one.
Also tried changing local directory ownership to bin:bin to no avail unfortunately.
Tried -o sec=sys,anon=2 as extra options, no avail.

I'm out of ideas at the moment, I can't understand why it works remotely but not locally.

Can anyone help me out?

Regards,
Martien
I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Do you have '-L' added to the AUTOMOUNTD_OPTIONS variable in /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf as described here http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02177422/c02177422.pdf#page=9
Martien Korenblom
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I did not try the -L option of automountd as I am not using it at this moment. Maybe I'll start using it..

I did check however how the mounts were made. The output of 'mount' gives 'NFSv3' somewhere in the line, so my assumption is that that is an NFS mount and not a LOFS mount.

I seem to have resolved part of the problem now. CU had set some strange rights on directories where mounts were made, reverted the action and now ok.

Problem remaining is now the NFS-mount to a share on the same server. I now can read and write but the owner of the written file becomes 'nobody' when I write a file as root, writes as other users are no problem. The other NFS clients have no problem.

Martien
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>the owner of the written file becomes 'nobody' when I write a file as root, writes as other users are no problem. The other NFS clients have no problem.

This is because you didn't export it with root as root, you have root as nobody.
share -F nfs -o root=access_list ...

Martien Korenblom
Frequent Advisor

Hi Dennis,

They are definitely shared with the root= parameter. Other servers have NO problem, only the server with the LOCAL NFS-mount to a LOCAL share and as user root.

Tried sharing with both FQDN and short name, but it makes no difference.
Switched over to AutoFS with -L option for automountd, also no difference...

It's gotta be something to do with the local mount construction, but I can't seem to find where the problem lies.

Martien