1753366 Members
6092 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Update O/S in the Mc/SG environment

hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

Update O/S in the Mc/SG environment

I would like to do an update of the O/S that currently running MC/SG. I 'd like to do this non-disruptive, the vg00 is mirror. Can I accomplish this goal without having a major problemS? In addition, if needs to do back up, can you show me on how to do so? I haven't done any backup on tapes at all..so this will be new for me
4 REPLIES 4
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Re: Update O/S in the Mc/SG environment

Hi. This is actually a fairly major operations, with lots of dependencies and steps and checking stuff.

If you are as new to all of this as your question implies, I would suggest that you not undertake this alone. You should be looking for a consultant who can do this with you watching and learning.

At a minimum, you will want the HP support organization involved with all aspects of the upgrade. They are a great resource, but this is a bit beyond the scope of standard support. They may diplomatically suggest that you should get an HP-UX & MCSG resource in to help with this, as I indicated earlier.

This could be either somebody inside your company that knows how to do this, or an outside consultant. A project of this scope could take at a minimum several days, and probably longer (with adequate planning time, etc). It would not be cheap, but, if this is a production environment, the problems that can come up are infinite, varied, and mostly catastrophic, and I wouldn't recommend learning on a production cluster.

I'm assuming production because clustering is expensive, and is generally only done for production servers that are critical to some aspect of your business.

Just my opinion, hopefully others will chime in and you can get a broader concensus on this.

Good Luck! --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What version of the OS are you upgrading from and to, and what version of MC/SG? Are you talking about an OS upgrade [11.00 to 11i] or just 'updating' as in patching the OS?

We've done the OS upgrade before from 11.00 to 11i. It isn't really tough to do, but you have to think about what you are doing and plan out your steps. You can't do it without any downtime at all, but if you plan things you can minimize your downtime.

As for the tape backups, you should try the IgniteUX product for your OS backup. I wouldn't consider trying any upgrade without at least two reliable Ignite tapes for each node.

JP
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

In complement to what John mentionned, what I would also suggest to avoid downtime as much as possible for your users is to switch your packages from one node to another that way minimizing the downtime therefore keeping your users happy, while you work on one server and you upgrade it to 11i. I would also strongly recommend to use Ignite-UX to make a backup of your vg00 before upgrading. Making this completely non disruptive will eb very hard to accomplish.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Jan-Erik Sanne
Advisor

Hi,
Take a look at dok ID. KBAN00000716. It gives a good description on howto do the whole upgrade to 11.X

Hope this helps - and good luck.

cheers,
janerik
Life is not life unless you make mistakes