Operating System - Linux
1753797 Members
8152 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What does "up to 2 sockes" mean in RHEL license "Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Premium (up to 2 sockets)

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

What does "up to 2 sockes" mean in RHEL license "Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Premium (up to 2 sockets)

Hi All,

I would like to know what does "up to 2 sockes" mean in RHEL license "Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Premium (up to 2 sockets)"
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: What does "up to 2 sockes" mean in RHEL license "Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Premium (up to 2 sockets)

That means you can up to 2 CPU chips in the server. For example you could have 2 dual-core, 2 quad-core cpus or 2 6-core cpus on the server.
senthil_kumar_1
Super Advisor

If I have 4 6-core servers. Will this license not work / can I not use this license?

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>If I have 4 6-core servers. Will this license not work / can I not use this license?

As long as the 6 cores are in a single CPU chip then yes, this type of license should work fine.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Yes Senthil - even with current 10-core INTEL CPUs, you can have RHEL Premium 2-sockets work on 2 CPU sockets -- givbing you a 20-core system 40-way with HT on.

Amazing ain't it?

You also I think only need to pay Oracle Standard RDBMS std for 2 sockets -- but am not 100% sure.

Hakuna Matata.