Re: cmcluster time log delayed

SOLVED
Go to solution
mohamed.bouraoui
Frequent Advisor

cmcluster time log delayed

Dear Friends,
I have a strange problem related to the cmcluster,
I installed the mcserviceguard A.11.16 on linux redhat 3 AS , everything is seems ok, but when I edit the log file messages , I notice that the time of logged cmclusterтАЩs process message and the time of system is not the same, it's delayed about 9 hours????
Someone tell me what is the real problem? it has a bug? If yes How to fix it?
Thanks a lot of
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is a known bug with ServiceGuard/Linux A.11.16. The problem is that the ServiceGuard daemons cannot get the system timezone setting.

ServiceGuard was originally developed on HP-UX, where the TZ environment variable is always used to determine the timezone settings. In Linux, the system default timezone is determined using the /etc/localtime file, and the TZ variable is an optional override, to be used whenever a program or a user session needs to run using different timezone settings (e.g. user logging in from another time zone). But ServiceGuard/Linux A.11.16 cannot read /etc/localtime.

This problem is fixed in ServiceGuard patches. Go to itrc.hp.com, select "patch database" under "Downloads", then "Linux" under "find individual patches". Then select RedHat 3.0 AS and "Browse patch list". You'll then be able to download ServiceGuard A.11.16.11 patches for your system.

HP's description of the problem from the patch release notes:
----
7. On Linux systems, the timezone is not indicated by the TZ environment variable. This code therefore results in all log files for processes started as services of cmcld, e.g. all packages and processes started by packages, having their timezone forced to PST8PDT irrespective of the system default.
----

If you are located in the UTC +1 hour timezone, this creates exactly 9 hour difference. (U.S. West coast is UTC -8, or -7 when Daylight Saving Time is applied)

If you cannot install the patch for some reason (change management rules?) then the workaround would be to edit the ServiceGuard scripts to add "export TZ=Africa/Algiers" to them as necessary.

MK
MK
mohamed.bouraoui
Frequent Advisor

many thanks Matti Kurkela, you're right.
mohamed.bouraoui
Frequent Advisor

many thanks