5611 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to install metro cluster service guard on 11.23

gany59
Regular Advisor

how to install metro cluster service guard on 11.23

Hello HP-UX experts,

how to install SG. 11.17 is the latest version right ?. For example if we are installing the 11.17 version on the 11.23 , then how can we know that what are all the patches are required.

Please tell me the solutions on the same.

Thanks in advance!!!
7 REPLIES 7
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: how to install metro cluster service guard on 11.23

Incorrect. Serviceguard A.11.17 on HP-UX 11.23 went out of support in December 2010.
The current LATEST (and last) release is Serviceguard A.11.19 which goes out of ssupport December 2013.
Basically you should patch the servers up to the latest patch bundle, and also ensure you get the latest Serviceguard patch for the relase of SG that you will use from the ITRC patch centre.
Are you also asking about the Metrocluster product? If so, which one? there are 3 of them.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
sangilak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Latest version of Serviceguard (for HP-UX) is 11.20.

For Metro clusters you will need at least Serviceguard version 11.19 if I remember correctly.

For full details on the installation requirements have a look at the following webpage (select which type of Metro cluster you are setting up):
http://docs.hp.com/en/ha.html

sangilak
sangilak
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Little correction, latest version of Serviceguard for HP-UX 11.31 is 11.20, for HP-UX 11.23 the latest version is 11.19...

sangilak
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

Serviceguard and Metrocluster are different High Availability software products. You need to educate yourself on the difference.

In general, Serviceguard enables the clustering of up to 16 servers at a maximum separation determined by the distance limitations of fibre-channel linkage to the disk array(s).
Metrocluster is an add-on product to Serviceguard, that permits a greater distance separation at the additional cost of hardware and software and complexity.

HP provides a document that details compatible versions of Serviceguard with versions of HP-UX. The document also lists the introduction and end-of-life dates for each version. The title is:
HP Serviceguard/SGeRAC/Storage Management Suite/Serviceguard Manager Plug-in Compatibility and Feature Matrix, October 2010
at
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02577783/c02577783.pdf

It indicates that A.11.19 is the latest supported version of Serviceguard for HP-UX 11.23. You will need a codeword to install it from the Application DVD media.
You should also install the latest Serviceguard patch.
We recommend that you read the Release Notes at http://www.hp.com/go/hpux-SG-docs for the version that you decide to install for information that will help you prepare for the installation.

If you are also interested in Metrocluster, there are 3 "flavors" depending on the array you use.
They are:
HP Serviceguard Metrocluster with Continuous Access EVA
HP Serviceguard Metrocluster with Continuous Access XP
HP Serviceguard Metrocluster with EMC SRDF

As stated before, use this link to drill down to the Metrocluster compatibility matrix, Release Notes and Admin guides:
http://docs.hp.com/en/ha.html
gany59
Regular Advisor

thanks a lot folks for ur valuable reply and timings. Can you pls tell me for installing service guard below would be the command.. or ?

swinstall -s /CD_ROM/ServiceguardA.11.19

Is that correct, so if we installed the service guard, after that if we need to install the metro cluster, is that the same command like installing normal packages or is there any thing we need to change .. pls let me know.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

you install Serviecguard using swinstall as normal for any HP product.
The same applies for the Metrocluster Toolikt product, just use swinstall
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
gany59
Regular Advisor

Thanks guru's a ton!!!!!!!!!!! :) i got the things clear.