4890 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to start cmcld daemon

Deeos
Regular Advisor

how to start cmcld daemon

Hi experts,

I have manually killed cmcld daemon process. can any body tell me how to start cmcld daemon?

Thanks in advance for your support
Deepak
8 REPLIES 8
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: how to start cmcld daemon

I have not dealt with serviceguard clusters for a long time but last I remember, when cmcld daemon dies or becomes unresponsive due to this or that reason, it is enough for the node to induce a TOC and shut itself down immediately. When you killed this daemon, did the server take a nose dive and go down or nothing happened ? If it did not die, is there another cmcld running on this system currently ?

For whatever reason, your cluster status might be a little iffy as it stands right now and a complete cluster restart may put things back in order.

But again this information is coming from 3+ years ago. There might be other enhancements in the newer releases of MCSG. So take my words with a grain of salt.

Hi,
Try to run "cmruncl"
if the deamon not start then its a good idea to reboot the server.
Suraj
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

normally the system will panic if you kill the cmcld

Suggest that you reboot.. ServiceGuard is not stable at this point.

Shukor
Frequent Advisor

Hi Deeos,

cmcld daemon starts after command "cmruncl". To manually restart the daemon without rebooting server, just cmhaltcl and then cmruncl as shown below.

root[cmcluster] # cmruncl -v
Successfully started $SGLBIN/cmcld on node1.
Successfully started $SGLBIN/cmcld on node2.
cmruncl : Waiting for cluster to form.....
cmruncl : Cluster successfully formed.
cmruncl : Check the syslog files on all nodes in the cluster
cmruncl : to verify that no warnings occurred during startup

Regards,
Shukor
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

Don't stop the cluster with cmhaltcl, just use cmrunnode to start cluster services on that node. See man page for more - http://www.unix.com/man-page/All/1m/cmrunnode/

regards,
ivan
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

cmruncl does start the cmcld daemon and other essential daemons for MCSG. Never try to manaully start this daemon as the cm* commands properly apply and configure the cluster in a way SG can understand which involves the distribution of the binary file and applying of configuration to name a few. Do not manually kill cmcld , cmlvmd and other critical daemons and do not try to MANUALLY RESTART them.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....
sarfaraj ahmad
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
cmruncl will start the cmcld daemon.

NOTE:
The cmruncl command can only be used when the cluster is not running, that is, when none of the nodes is running the cmcld daemon.

Regards,
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

cmcld is the main Serviceguard daemon. After the cluster has formed, killing cmcld will cause a TOC (memory dump followed by a system reboot) because the Serviceguard kernel hang detection system was not terminated by a graceful exit of cmcld.

cmruncl starts cmcld on all nodes in the cluster (if none are running Serviceguard), or on specific nodes listed when "-n ..." is added to the cmruncl command. There should only be one instance of cmcld running.

To make a node join cluster operations already in progress, use cmrunnode rather than cmruncl.