Operating System - HP-UX
1752725 Members
5326 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

how to stop node auto reboot after hearbeat failure? .

somanaboina_522
Occasional Advisor

how to stop node auto reboot after hearbeat failure? .

Dear All,

I have a 2 node cluster of hp-ux 11i v3 os servers,  few days back there was network issue in my datacenter.

Due to hearbeat failure of the cluster one of the node from the cluster got auto reboot.

here my question is how to disable this option of node auto-reboot in case of hearbeat failure.

do i need to install any extra packages for this feature.

Thanks&Regards

somana

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: how to stop node auto reboot after hearbeat failure? .

As far as I know you cannot stop the auto reboot.  The auto-reboot is a function of SG itself.  It is designed to prevent what is known as a "split-brain" syndrome.  "Split-brain syndrome" is a situation where you lose communication between the cluster nodes  and the cluster reforms on BOTH nodes, which is NOT a good thing.

Basically the process is this (very simplified):

1) Heartbeat communication is lost

2) The cluster nodes compete to take control of the lock disk

3) The winner of the lock disk takes over the cluster and the loser of the lock disk reboots.

So, basically you DO NOT want to turn off the auto-reboot function.  Your cluster behaved exactly as it should have in this situation.

Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

Short of reducing the cluster to single-node operation or providing a switchless HB network (cross-over cable), there is no way to avoid a node TOC if all HB networks fail.

somanaboina_522
Occasional Advisor

Thank you patrick...