108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: interaction with a DBA

SOLVED
Go to solution
khilari
Regular Advisor

interaction with a DBA

Hi people, i wanted to know as to how as a system admin u interact with a dba. i mean okay lets say it is mcsg and there is an oracle package. Then i guess u have to ask him about the halt/start scripts. And what else, in a team how u interact with him.????
6 REPLIES 6
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

You interact with DBA types politely and with patience (a lot).

;^)

Hakuna Matata.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Well - for one, you have to approach it that you are both on the same team.

As far as setting up a package to stop/start/monitor Oracle, you create the package, ask the DBA for the commands.

IE:

su -oracle -c "start_all.sh"

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

One of the first things that you need to do is sit down with the DBA(s) and explain the MC/SG concept to them. One of the most fundamental concepts to get across to them is to always connect via the package hostname; otherwise, they will get into the habit of connecting to the static hostname and will be confused when that host cannot be reached because the package is no longer running on its usual node.

In general, the DBA(s) will provide the scripts for starting and stop the database and listeners and the scripts for monitoring the health of the instance. You then call these scripts from your package control scripts.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

The interaction goes both ways - they tell uou what they need and you tell them what you need. DBA says I need so much system and disk space, I say to them that we need to submit the requirements for approval.

The UNIX SA and the DBA have a symbiotic relationship, somethings you can think of this relationship as being parasitic, but the interaction between them has to be there. A lot of times they are part of the same team. Other times they site next to each other in neighboring offices/cubes, etc...

Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

Although Oracle claims that with ASM, the interaction between these who peers are expected to descrease significantly, in reality this is quite difficult.

In most organisations, the DBA and Sysadmin tasks are performed by the same person. In cases where there are two persons doing either of the tasks, there needs to be a more interaction between them.

With MCSG, the coupling is much tighter. This mainly because any downtime or degradation of performance is immediately reported to the DBA whom must be aware of all the happenings on the sysadmin end.

hope this helps!

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Steve Blackburn_3
Occasional Advisor

If archiving is turned on the sys admin will want to be keenly aware of the disk space for the archive file system and ensure that backups, such as RMAN, are running and if a high of transaction logging begins to be notified and ready to watch disk space closely.

With MCSG this involves resillency and/or DR. THe sys admin is completely responsible with hardware and os resillency, and shares responsiblitly with dba to protect data against corruption and recovering SLAs.