Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux + ServiceGuard + Samba toolkit problem

Tal Moran
Advisor

linux + ServiceGuard + Samba toolkit problem

Hi all,
I install Serviceguard on RHES 3.0. The Serviceguard work Ok. I try to configure the SAMBA toolkit and I can't start the SAMBA package. The SAMBA server runs on both cluster nods OK. I use the Readme file in the toolkit to configure the Samba cluster. When I start the Samba package I get in the log file error: cmrunserv: Unable to complete command: File exists.
In the attached file there is the configuration file: samba_pkg.cntl, samba_pkg.conf, hasmb.mon and the log files: samba_pkg.cntl.log, /var/log/messages.

Thanks Tal.
7 REPLIES
Dan Am
Frequent Advisor

Re: linux + ServiceGuard + Samba toolkit problem

Hi,just as an aside: My version of SG is only certified for RHAS 2.1. Could that be a problem ? Regards Dan
do what you can. don't if you can't.
Tal Moran
Advisor

Hi
I am using Serviceguard for Linux A.11.15 and Samba Toolkit version A.01.00-0. According to the web site I didnâ t see any problem to install on RHES 3.0.

http://www.software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayInstallInfo.do?productNumber=T2341BA

T
Dan Am
Frequent Advisor

Ok , I have 11.14
do what you can. don't if you can't.
Celso Medina Kern
Trusted Contributor

Hi Tal,

The core of the error seems to be
Jun 14 11:01:28 nod-1 cmcld: Unable to start service samba_pkg (it is already active)

Looking package log, we see that service is starting twice, and fails in the second chance, for obvious reason.

Could you attach /usr/local/cmcluster/conf/samba_pkg/toolkit.sh and the complete /usr/local/cmcluster/conf/samba_pkg/samba_pkg.cntl and /usr/local/cmcluster/conf/samba_pkg/hasmb.mon?

Celso
God bless pessimists, they did the backup!
Tal Moran
Advisor

Hi Celso,

Attached is the entire configuration file for the samba package.

Thanks Tal.
Celso Medina Kern
Trusted Contributor

Tal,

My findings:
1 - According to instructions on toolkit header, you should call this script with start or stop only. You are using monitor instead.

2 - The script slice where the prob occurs is:
# Check if cmrunserv should be called the old way without a restart count.
if [ "$SMB_SERVICE_RESTART" = "" ]
then
cmrunserv $SMB_SERVICE_NAME ">> $0.log 2>&1 $service_cmd"
else
cmrunserv $SMB_SERVICE_RESTART $SMB_SERVICE_NAME ">> $0.log 2>&1 $service_cmd"
fi

>> more specific in else statement. It would translate:
cmrunserv -r 0 samba_pkg ">> samba_pkg.cntl.log 2>&1 /usr/local/cmcluster/conf/samba_pkg/hasmb.mon"

This would call
/usr/local/cmcluster/conf/samba_pkg/toolkit.sh monitor
I dont know how cmrunserv runs, but it seems there is a problem once you´re starting monitor again after is has already been started in the normal start of package(hasmb.sh, function launch_monitor_service)

It seems you should not use toolkit.sh to monitor the service.

My suggestions:

- dont use toolkit.sh to monitor the service, use hasmb.mon instead.
- Turn shell verbose, including set -x at the beggining of hasmb.sh. It will tell us much more about what´s been executed.

Good luck!!

C
God bless pessimists, they did the backup!

You are right Celso.

I had the same problem for the linux sendmail service guard toolkit.

I had defined the hasendmail.monitor SERVICE in the the package control script (for the package control script to start it). But the toolkit.sh script launch the hasendmail.sh script that starts the hasendmail.monitor SERVICE.

So when the cluster try to start it (as defined in the package control script), it fails because the service is already started by the toolkit.sh (hasendmail.sh) script.

I have an question : is better to start the SERVICE with the toolkit.sh (hasendmail.sh) or with the package control file ?

Thanks ;-)

Cheers.