108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: standby lan

SOLVED
Go to solution
simon_164
Super Advisor

standby lan

I have two server which has 2 network cards each with 2 ports on the network card for each. which means 4 ports for each server.

I am thinking of having 1 network card which means 2 ports for network and heartbeat and the other two ports of the second card for standby.
How to implement this?

I will need:
- 2 IP for the first server
- 2 IP for the second one
- 1 IP for each package
- 2 hostnames for each of the two servers
- 1 hostname for the package

am i right? do you agree?
9 REPLIES 9
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

Its possible to configure the same. you have to give the lan interface name without assigning IP address in cluster.conf file for both the lan interfaces.

Since Package IP is virtual so this will automatically be assosiated with the lan interface if hte first one fails.
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
BPatrick
Trusted Contributor

Hi Simon,
You will need 1 IP address for each server.
1 IP address for the cluster and 1ip for each package you configure. That means total 3 IP address and additional Ip address for each package you configure.

Regards

Patrick
BPatrick
Trusted Contributor

Simon
Also you need to assign IP address for your heartbeat network. So what you have mentioned is correct except that you need a cluster IP address also.

Patrick
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Don't you have an Lan interface on your Core I/O board?
What's the output of lanscan?

Below you'll find an example:
NODE_NAME
NETWORK_INTERFACE lan2
STATIONARY_IP
NETWORK_INTERFACE lan0
HEARTBEAT_IP
NETWORK_INTERFACE lan1
HEARTBEAT_IP
NETWORK_INTERFACE lan3
NETWORK_INTERFACE lan4

In the example above your package will have a virtual lan interface (lan2:1), with a different ip-address.
lan3 and lan4 are standby lans.

Darrel
simon_164
Super Advisor

What is the IP of the cluster ? isn't it the IP for the package? each package has an IP address ?
how to setup the IP address of the cluster?
BPatrick
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Sorry Simon I just got confused with the Microsoft cluster. You dont need a IP address for the cluster. But you will be specifying the name of the cluster in the cluster ascii file.

Regards
Patrick
Darrel Louis
Honored Contributor

Srikanth Arunachalam
Trusted Contributor

Hi Simon,

You should be able to set in the package cntl file. Search for "IP ADDRESS" section and modify the IP addres of the package over here and the subnet it belongs to. The IP should be unique across the subnet and should be different from that of one assigned to each of the LAN device.

The change should be IP[0]=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
subnet[0]=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where 0 is array indices and should be match with the count of package.

Thanks,
Srikanth
SGUX
Valued Contributor

if the 2 IP-addersses per server includes 1 server-IP-address and 1 heartbeat you are correct. But you don't need 2 hostnames per server, 1 is enough. do not use the same HBA for configuring heartbeat and server-IP. you might use the on-board card for configuring heartbeat.