108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: trouble inserting modules into kernel for ServiceGuard Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tony Publiski

trouble inserting modules into kernel for ServiceGuard Linux

Hi there,

I've been struggling with an issue for SG for Linux. I can compile the deadman and pidentd modules without a problem, but can't load them into the kernel.

Syslog reports the following:

Jun 28 11:23:54 gvlx-cl1 kernel: pidentd: version magic '2.6.9-55.ELsmp SMP 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.2' should be '2.6.9-55.ELsmp SMP 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4'

Now this is from an install of Redhat 4.0 EL u3, everything is installed from the CD's (though we have a kickstart script that is used) so I'm at a loss as to what I have to do to resolve the issue.

Any help would be appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

You state that this is an installed RHEL4U3 box, but that kernel is the (near) latest from up2date - so have you actually compiled against the running kernel, or did you compile after install, and then upgrade the kernel? That would be a likely issue...
What gcc does RPM report present?
Tony Publiski

Thanks for your response. I did indeed upgrade the kernel (in hopes it would fix my issue, which obviously it didn't), but the result is the same on the other box which is the original kernel revision that came installed:

[root@gvlx-cl2 ~]# uname -a
Linux gvlx-cl2.na.pg.com 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 24 16:54:53 EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I've compiled against both the initial and the latest kernel from up2date.

GCC is version 3.4:

[root@gvlx-cl1 ~]# rpm -qa | grep gcc
gcc-java-3.4.5-2
compat-gcc-32-3.2.3-47.3
libgcc-3.4.5-2
gcc-3.4.5-2
gcc-g77-3.4.5-2
compat-gcc-32-c++-3.2.3-47.3
gcc-c++-3.4.5-2
compat-libgcc-296-2.96-132.7.2
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor
Solution

Well, every indication is that you did not compile the driver you're trying to insert in the environment you're trying to insert into.

Did you reboot following the upgrades?

What this is saying is that the module was compiled with 3.2, and your running kernel was compiled with 3.4 I don't know if this module gets compiled against the "compat" tools because those appear to be 3.2... that may be at issue.... but Linux is supposed to be smart enough to figure it out (I know there was a similar issue some time ago with FC drivers)
Tony Publiski

Well that helps give me somewhere to look at least. That's the latest version that is on the CD's, so I'm going to check up2date and see what i can find...
Tony Publiski

Interestingly, I removed those two packages (compat-gcc-32 and compat-gcc-32-c++) and was able to compile and install it into the kernel. This kinda messes up my process a bit, but at least I have a way to continue on now. Thanks for all your help.
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

Glad it's working. I'd have to say that there's probably some config options that need to be passed or set in the Makefile to avoid this problem. There's LOTS of folks that need the compat tools present. I would think that running "make gcc34" would do it.... (for compile using gcc3.4) but there's a couple ways to specify alternate compilers
I don't have a ServiceGuard machine or I'd look further, but at least your thread is here for others to see....

Don