Operating System - HP-UX
1752838 Members
3752 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vgextend & lvextend of adoptive node in 2 Node cluster.

SOLVED
Go to solution
SR_2006
Frequent Advisor

vgextend & lvextend of adoptive node in 2 Node cluster.

Hi,
I want to extend vg of adoptive (secondary)node & then do lvextend of lv in this vg.
Did I required to do vgexport on adoptive (seconday) node first & vgimport on primary node.
Because I have done this from primary to secondary but not from secondary to primary.
Also is it required to halt the package of this vg on adoptive (secondary) node.

thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: vgextend & lvextend of adoptive node in 2 Node cluster.

Do the LV(s) you're extending contain a filesystem? If they do, do you have online filesystem resize tools installed (i.e. OnlineJFS or Veritas VXFS with appropriate options)?

If you don't have online resize tools available, you'll have to halt the package, activate the package VG manually and then use extendfs as necessary.

If you're using the LV(s) as raw disks (no filesystem), it depends on what you're using the disks for. (If it's e.g. for an Oracle database, see Oracle documentation).

If you can do the operation with online resize tools on the active node, you don't need to halt the package.

The fact that the secondary node is the currently active node makes no difference for the lvextend operation: if you can do it online, you do it first on the _active_ node, then update the LVM configuration on the _standby_ node (currently the primary node).

After extending the filesystem, do a
"vgexport -p -s -v -m .map " on the active node, copy the .map file to the inactive node, then vgexport and vgimport the cluster VG on the inactive node. Make sure the minor device number of the /dev//group file does not change!

MK
siva0123
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Regardless of the primary or secondary node you have to do a vgexport from the active node i.e from the node where you have made the changes to Vg and LV to the other node.

Thanks,
Siva
SR_2006
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your help.
the LV which I am extending contain filesystem which is mounted on some directory.After Extending this LV do I need to do extendfs? Can anyone Send me the procedure of this because I never done this before.

thanks