Shifting to Software-Defined
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 ways to prepare for the new Microsoft Azure Stack

WhitneyGarcia

In my last two articles around the new Azure Stack solution, I looked at the difference between Azure Pack and Stack, and also highlighted some of the key technological innovations in the new offering. And while bigstock-Person-s-Hand-Marking-On-Check-109569938.jpgthe solution itself is still months away from release, there are steps customers can take in their datacenters to prepare for the new offering.

First, it’s important to have the right infrastructure foundation. Just like when you are building a house, you can’t put up walls and a roof without a sturdy foundation or a comprehensive architectural plan to build on. Consider engaging a consulting service that can help prepare your datacenter and IT staff for the move to a hybrid cloud environment. Public cloud services, like those Azure provide, are an important aspect of this strategy. It’s important to make sure that you are looking for technical consultants with the right expertise to transition to a hybrid cloud and capitalize on your Azure Stack investment. Your consultant obviously should understand Azure, Azure Stack, and MS technology, but they also must be experts at hybrid cloud, cloud architectures and IT transformation.

Think about this as a journey that you are provisioning for to ensure you reach your destination successfully.

HPE will be offering consulting workshops to help develop an Azure hybrid cloud strategic plan before the solution arrives. And, to help customers prepare for a successful deployment, HPE Consulting for Microsoft Azure Hybrid Cloud will provide new advisory and implementation consulting services for Azure hybrid cloud, including security, workload migration, identity, networking and backup and recovery.

Second, if you need to deploy Azure cloud services today consider a platform like HPE Hyper Converged 250 for Microsoft CPS-Standard powered by Intel® that provides an Azure-consistent experience and leverages Azure cloud services to simplify administration, disaster recovery and maintenance of a hybrid cloud. The supported Azure services (Azure backup, Azure Site Recovery and Operations Management Suite) provides the type of reliability and efficiency you will need.

Third, make sure your list includes solutions that provides easy-to-see security information and event management software for your complete IT environment – whether it be public, hybrid or traditional IT. Data protection, encryption, security monitoring and testing are all must-haves as you plan your Azure hybrid cloud infrastructure.

Fourth, don’t forget about monitoring capabilities – and not just reactive. For my Azure Stack solution, I would like some predictive advisory capabilities or even some automated, proactive capabilities.

Lastly, it’s important to make sure everyone who will be working with the new solution has the correct training, so my fifth preparation tip includes certification.

Keep following me for Azure Cloud training and certification coming soon. And don’t forget the first opportunity to see this new solution in action at the Microsoft Ignite event in Atlanta next week, September 26-30. I hope to see you at the event!

More details on Ignite can be found here.

Whitney

Follow HPE Converged Systems

0 Kudos
About the Author

WhitneyGarcia

Events
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more
See posts for dates/locations
Reimagine 2018
Join us at one of the Reimagine 2018 stops and see how we Simplify Hybrid IT, innovate at the Intelligent Edge and bring it all together with HPE Poin...
Read more