Shifting to Software-Defined
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A cheat sheet for your transition to composable infrastructure

GaryThome

If you’ve been following the posts about composable infrastructure or reading articles about it in the industry press, you’re aware of the many advantages this new class of infrastructure brings to the table. You know all about how it brings a new level of flexibility to the data center, and provides the perfect platform for DevOps and casas.jpgontinuous delivery, while at the same time easily supporting traditional IT. You may be wondering what’s involved in moving to composable infrastructure. Where do you start, and how do you sort through the various offerings out there in the marketplace?

When looking at starting a new project, whether at home or at work, I’m a big fan of checklists and keeping things simple, at least in the early stages. So I was pleased to see that Gartner has come up with a new research note that can be used as a kind of cheat sheet by any organization that’s considering a composable infrastructure initiative. It’s titled Infrastructure and Operations Leaders Should Examine Nine Critical Criteria When Assessing Composable Infrastructures.

What your vendor must deliver

The research note’s author, analyst George J. Weiss, writes that “I&O leaders need to validate the principles and promises made by vendors before committing to composable infrastructures,” and the nine critical criteria mentioned in the title are a very useful tool to help you do that. Weiss advises: “If a vendor or service provider promises composable, but doesn’t match up to the ‘must’ deliverables, then approach marketing claims with skepticism.”

I won’t list all nine criteria here, but I’ll give you a sneak preview with three that caught my eye – in no particular order:

• Flexible, dynamic configurations that enhance and upgrade converged infrastructures”
  • High agility through dynamic, rapid provisioning for DevOps and the digital business”
  • An open API ecosystem for hybrid cloud, management and automation”

And, by the way, HPE Synergy, HPE’s approach to composable infrastructure, offers all of the “‘must’ deliverables” and more.

In addition to the vendor evaluation criteria, there’s a lot more that you’ll find useful in this Gartner publication, including: a look at the key challenges with composable infrastructure projects; a list of the functions that IT architects and designers should consider; and an overview of a 4-step decision-making process. At around seven pages, it’s a quick read, and well worth your time – here’s the link again to this Gartner research note.

See below for a couple more related blogs on composable infrastructure – should be helpful if you’re new to the topic or looking for a refresher:
Just what the heck is composable infrastructure, anyway?
Top 10 reasons to move to composable infrastructure by Chris Purcell
Composable Infrastructure: Breakthrough to fast, fluid IT by Paul Durzan

Gary

Follow HPE Composable Infrastructure

0 Kudos
About the Author

GaryThome

Vice President and Chief Technology Officer for the Software-Defined and Cloud Group at Hewlett Packard Enterprise, passionate on all things technology, operating in the data center either physically or virtually.

Events
Nov 27 - 29
Madrid, Spain
HPE Discover 2018 Madrid
Learn about all things HPE Discover 2018 in Madrid, Spain, 27 - 29 November, 2018.
Read more
See posts for
dates/locations
HPE at 2018 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2018.
Read more